DIY Turbo Silencer Removal

This is a discussion on DIY Turbo Silencer Removal within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Does anybody have pictures of what the Turbo Silencer is, along with details as to how to remove it? Also, ...

DIY Turbo Silencer Removal

Does anybody have pictures of what the Turbo Silencer is, along with details as to how to remove it? Also, do you guys think it is something good to do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I believe your referring to the intake silencer. I have no idea what turbo silencer would be? But it is not "bad" for the car. It pretty much only makes your turbo sound a bit louder, and you can hear the blow off valve a lot more. It's easy and fun, go for it. www.scoobymods.com should have it.

ur right my fault, thanks a lot i'll hopefully do it this week. Gotta let the parents know it won't hurt the car though haha. So that'll make the stock Blow Off Valve louder?

Significantly louder. And it won't hurt the car, they might not even notice, you could leave the "ram air" looking vent on top and they'd never know.

arite, i've actually heard that it brings more air to the intake by removing it. PS will it do anything so that if something happened to the car and we had to perhaps sue because of fault on the car they could deny the claim because of engine work? my dad is big on that

Ok the whole warranty thing bugs parents majorily, it's understandable, but annoying. So anyways, it won't "void" your warranty per se, if you search the site you will find plenty of topics on warranty laws and what can and will "void" your's.

i just reinstalled mine today, i hated it without it in..... the car felt totally different, and only sounded better..... the boost of power you get at 3000 rpm with a stock wrx is gone, and maybe it comes on early, but not any noticeable amount
    at least not in my experience...... maybe if i left in like that a few more days it woulda worked better, but my car felt slower at all rpms

removing part of the intake for some sound just seems stupid, i just think that subaru made it that way for a reason, other than simply being quiter

Originally posted by krillz
    i just reinstalled mine today, i hated it without it in..... the car felt totally different, and only sounded better..... the boost of power you get at 3000 rpm with a stock wrx is gone, and maybe it comes on early, but not any noticeable amount
    at least not in my experience...... maybe if i left in like that a few more days it woulda worked better, but my car felt slower at all rpms

removing part of the intake for some sound just seems stupid, i just think that subaru made it that way for a reason, other than simply being quiter
    I noticed none of those problems.

If you do a search a guy did a test with the MAF sensor and found that with it removed it perfomed at least as well most times better than with the silencer in. The only time it performed lower than the stock was at very high mph speeds.

granted the turbo may spool quicker, but this doesnt show it... there really is no spot on this graph that shows removing the silencer is beneficial........... although i dont now that i really look at it... i dont know how to really read it...

im telling you though, it took ALOT longer for my car to reach redline
    Last edited by KrillzSpec; 02-19-2003 at 08:30 PM.

I really haven't noticed this problem, have you checked to make sure that your airbox is closed? (not to call you stupid or anything, but they are a pain to get closed.) Thats the graph that silencer removal "lost" at. Show the others please?

Silencer mod w/ K&N yielded ~ 5.3 hp and 6.9 ft lbs torque on a Seattle dyno run awhile back, whilst the same setup lost shiv ABOUT 5 hp paired with a stage 0