General Mod Advice for Scooby Newbie

This is a discussion on General Mod Advice for Scooby Newbie within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I'm taking the plunge into my first rex and would like to make a mod here and there. I'm mechanically ...

Question General Mod Advice for Scooby Newbie

I'm taking the plunge into my first rex and would like to make a mod here and there. I'm mechanically disinclined so am wary about a DIY job. If I find myself in over my head, is there a "Plan B" to fall back on? For example, if I go with a short shifter and then realize that it's over my head, would a Subaru mechanic jump in? I realize it will cost $$ but it beats the alternative of me screwing up the install or having the mod collect dust on the shelf. Any words of wisdom from the Mod Gurus would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

PM me if you decide to do something- if it's something I've done, I'll provde detailed instructions and you can decide if it's something you want to undertake.

Originally posted by jedimaster
    PM me if you decide to do something- if it's something I've done, I'll provde detailed instructions and you can decide if it's something you want to undertake.
    Thanks mate, I hope there isn't a statute of limitations on that offer. I won't be buying my rex until July when I move from Australia to the States.

Initially, I'm looking at a MOMO shift knob and I'm still trying to decide if a short shifter is a good deal (people that have them seem to think so). I know this sounds cheesy but I dig the NR Auto "indiglo" gauge faces. I've also heard good things about a thicker rear sway bar to greatly reduce the understeer (I'm getting the wagon) and finally a new set of headlights. The mod headlights appear to be way over my head so I don't know how feasible this is.

Can't add much after that until Xmas of 2008 when "She Who Must Be Obeyed" gives me her blessings again

Again, thanks for the offer.

There are a lot of knowledgable people on here. Just ask about a specific mod and I'm sure someone will be able to give you a difficulty rating.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

Thanks, will do. Since the last thread I found out that the '04 models will be out by July so this should get rid of the need for me buying a rear sway bar bar (due to a higher suspension) and new headlights (due to a new style). That should save a chunk of change...that can be used on other mods

Like I said, I'm pretty mechanically disinclined. What would be nice is if there were some sort of WRX club in Wisconsin (where I'm moving) or nearby. I'd be willing to pay someone to show me the ropes but I guess that depends on who's in the land of cheese when I get there

A buddy of mine is from Wisconsin- every time he talks about when her was a kid kid, he starts out with "In Wisconsin", so I interrupt him, and cut in with "The Dairy State". It's become such a stupid joke that now it's funny.

Originally posted by jedimaster
    A buddy of mine is from Wisconsin- every time he talks about when her was a kid kid, he starts out with "In Wisconsin", so I interrupt him, and cut in with "The Dairy State". It's become such a stupid joke that now it's funny.
    Well then I guess I should select an appropriate avatar. I'll start checking the Wisconsin DMV to see if I can reserve the vanity plate "Moooooo"

LMAO!

Ibizan - dive in!!! I was by no means a "gearhead" by anyone's definition when I got my car. However, with enough research on clubwrx, nasioc and scoobymods, I:

1) installed short shifter and bushings
    2) removed my wagon roof rails
    3) installed mini-antenna in said roof
    4) painted headlight mod
    5) did the engine grounding mod
    6) removed the intake silencer
    7) wired fogs to work off parking lights

You get the idea, and I'm not counting simple dress-up mods . To be honest, yes, I do think to myself "if I screw up, how much would the mechanic charge ON TOP of normal to fix my mistakes then make it right." Normally, if I don't think I can do too much damage, I'll plunge in. So far I've only had a shop do one thing and they didn't do it how I want, so I read up a little more and I'm going to re-do it myself.

Originally posted by sonicwrx
    Ibizan - dive in!
    Yep, I'm looking forward to it, but not exactly diving in. It'll be more like wading in slowly with one of those children's air inflated inner tubes shaped like Barney the dinosaur wrapped around my waist. Your success gives me hope though.

I have to make sure I don't royally screw up. This will be our only car for awhile so She Who Must Be Obeyed will sautee my acorns in butter if she climbs into the rex and finds a short shifter wrapped in duct tape waiting for her.

If short shifter is your concern right now, don't be. The installation of the lever itself is about as straightforward as they get. Follow these instructions and you're all set. The bushings are a touch tougher but the instructions there are GR-REAT! Short shifter was the FIRST thing I tackled and I hit no bumps along the way. Where are you located? If you're in PA, heck, I'll do it with ya'!

Originally posted by sonicwrx
    Follow these instructions and you're all set... Where are you located? If you're in PA, heck, I'll do it with ya'!
    Thanks for those instructions. The pictures will help a lot. Taking a whack at it with a hammer has me a little nervous but I'll live.

I'm in Australia but I'll be moving to Wisconsin (I'm told it's the Dairy State) in July. I think Pennsylvania is a ways down the road from where I'll be, but who knows, I'll need an excuse to get rid of those break-in miles. Just leave the light on for me.

Since you mention that part, here's my advice on getting the lever seated. The shifter lever is angled. Your instinct will be to hold the top section vertical - it won't go in like that. Seat the ball right in the center of the socket and make sure the lower section is perpendicular to the socket. The upper section won't be straight up and down so you're going to feel like your "whack" won't work, but it will, and rather easily. I used a block of wood and a hammer but if you get the lever "aimed" properly, I know people have gotten it in simply with a smack of the palm.

And, no, you don't want to break-in your WRX by driving it, oh, 15 hours on the highway to PA. We'll have to stick to message boards!

Thanks sonic for those extra hammer tips. I've placed them in my mod file.

15 hours eh? Hmm...I don't think She Who Must Be Obeyed will let me stray that far unless I'm bringing back jewelry.