Cat-Back Exhaust Install (SPT Exhaust specific) ?

This is a discussion on Cat-Back Exhaust Install (SPT Exhaust specific) ? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Does anyone have a Tutorial for installing a cat-back exhaust, more specificaly the SPT? Are the instructions that come with ...

Cat-Back Exhaust Install (SPT Exhaust specific) ?

Does anyone have a Tutorial for installing a cat-back exhaust, more specificaly the SPT? Are the instructions that come with it enough and since it should be a bolt on fairly easy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You will find some pictures or video of removing the downpipe which basically involves disconnecting the catback in the UP/DP install sticky. But it really is that easy anyway. Just find the two bolts with the springs after your last stock cat and undo those, then pull it off the hangers. Also be sure to collect all the washers when you undo the springs, some stuff will want to launch. If you have a hard time threading on the spring bolt nuts when putting it on, take some large pliers around the bolt head and the opposite flange and squeeze bolt through the spring to put the nut on (probably unnecessary for you, I was using a huge donut gasket for a different downpipe).

You may want a new donut gasket and/or new spring bolts depending on the condition of yours (one of mine was very rusted and thankfully sheared off before I had to undo it all the way).

Good luck!

If I'm just doing the cat-back, I shouldn't have the mess with the up/dp right? I'm just messing with last cat on back right?

Quote Originally Posted by JDS300 View Post
    If I'm just doing the cat-back, I shouldn't have the mess with the up/dp right? I'm just messing with last cat on back right?
    No, you don't have to mess with the DP or UP. If I remember right, mine came with all of the mounting hardware (bolts and stuff) but I had to re-use the exhaust hangers. I'm pretty sure there were instructions too. Every other SPT part I've gotten has had them. Heck, even the SPT oil cap did. It's a fairly easy install, my brother and I did it in an hour or so. Having an extra person is helpful too, gives you someone to hold pipes in the right place while you're putting on nuts and bolts.
    Blobeye Syndicate #035
    Cobb Stage 2

It's definitely an easy install. I've done three of them so far, and they all took less than an hour. Once you get under the car, it's intuitive. When I disconnect the old system, I like to start from the back of the car and work forward. Then when I install the new system, I start from the back of the dp and work toward the back of the car. Everything just seems to line up better that way.