Solution to High Idle Issue! **(works on 02-05 NON DBW) ADJUST CC CABLE** - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Solution to High Idle Issue! **(works on 02-05 NON DBW) ADJUST CC CABLE** within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Many more hot days and no problem, so all is good now. You can check your cables right away, and ...

Many more hot days and no problem, so all is good now.

You can check your cables right away, and see right off the bat if the cruise control has too much tension. The cruise control cable should have roughly the same amount of slack as the throttle cable.

The cable should be able to deflect a tiny bit without moving the throttle plate when you press down on it with your finger. Mine didn't. At rest with the car cold, the cruise control cable was completely taut. The slightest pressure would cause the throttle to open a little. If it does that, you most likely will have the problem under the right conditions. Which would most likely be driving on a hot day, then coming to a stop and having the car idling for a while. The lack of air flowing through the engine compartment will allow the whole compartment to get very hot (perfectly normal condition) and in this case, the cable housing to expand just a slight bit, causing the throttle to be held open.

On a side note, I've thought further into this, and realized that it can't be the actual cable itself expanding, because that wouldn't make sense. If the cable expanded, that wouldn't put more tension on it, it would do the opposite. And anyway, a steel cable would not be prone to changing length under these temperatures. What's expanding is actually the black plastic tubing that the cable rides in, causing the cable to become more taut.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yup....works

easiest three second fix EVER. I had noticed how tight the cable was but had never attributed it to the odd high ambient temp rev up. Fixed.

Jon W.

Hey, guys, I was having this problem in my brand new 07 rex, and found it to be two things. One is the hard idle when you first start it up. This is due to the 02 sensor adjusting itself to either burn rich or lean.

The other one is an external intake and/or silencer removal. This causes the mass airflow (MAF) sensor to read differently at idle, causing the car to idle higher. If you have an intake that circumvents the stock MAF sensor, get rid of it and either put the stock box back on or get the Cobb or SPT intake. The solution for this is to disconnect the battery which will reset the ECU.

If you have an AP, i'm not sure if you're gonna have to reload maps. After resetting my ECU, my car didn't idle weird again. And to whoever took it to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce it: they obviously weren't looking very hard, or thought it normal that it idles that high :P My wrx always idles at 500 RPM now unless it's just been started after a night.
    Fender + WRX > Fender + VW...

anyone have a pic of this?

i don't want to go messing with the wrong wire on someones else's car even though im 99% sure i know the wire
    **** off with your candy paint jobs and spoilers that are 8x too big , I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

Quote Originally Posted by motormike View Post
    anyone have a pic of this?
    Nope, but, when you open the bonnet (hood) and look in the bay the alternator is smack in the centre. Just to the left of this are the two cables, the left cable curls round and back to the cruise control unit in the rear left of the engine bay, the unit says "cruise assy" on it so it's fairly easy to spot Both cables have threadnuts mounted in a bracket welded to the manifold running across the centre of the bay, you want the left one, offset slightly and back to the main throttle cable.

I've got an 03 WRX wagon and this problem has been through three dealerships and I've searched numerous forums looking for a fix. They've reset the ECU twice and co-incidence of weather made the problem go away. Moving from San Francisco to Austin made things worse and I was on the verge of selling the car until I found this fix, I made the change at the weekend (hardest part was finding a 12mm spanner), took about 30 seconds and presto, it works, thanks to all for posting this fix. It means I don't feel the need to sell it and buy an M3 instead, not this week anyway

Bruce

much thanks on this fix. I just need to replace the exhaust gaskets on teh 2nd cat pipe. seems the previous owner had put it back together for the emissions test without the donut gasket. they used a standard gasket and a BUNCH of exhaust putty. it leaks and rattle/squeaks all the time.

Same Recall ?

could this be the same recall ?
    It does sound similar anyhow...

Recall Number: 04V128000
    Dates Manufactured: SEP 2000 to FEB 2004
    Number of Vehicles Affected: 127580
    Date Owners Notified On: Unavailable
    ON CERTAIN PASSENGER SEDANS, WAGONS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, THE CRUISE CONTROL CABLE COULD COME OUT OF ITS TRACK ON THE CRUISE CONTROL LEVER AND LODGE ON THE CONTROL LEVER TAB WHEN THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL IS RELEASED. IF THIS CONDITION OCCURS, THE THROTTLE WILL NOT RETURN TO THE IDLE POSITION AND WILL REMAIN IN AN OPEN POSITION.
    Consequence of Defect:
    IF THIS OCCURS DURING VEHICLE OPERATION, THE DRIVER COULD LOSE CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Corrective Action:
    DEALERS WILL INSTALL A CRUISE CONTROL CABLE RETAINING CLIP TO THE CRUISE CONTROL LEVER TAB ON THE THROTTLE SHAFT IN ORDER TO PREVENT THE CRUISE CONTROL CABLE FROM COMING OUT OF ITS TRACK. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON APRIL 12, 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SUBARU AT 1-800-782-2783.

Of course today is a nice 65 degrees here in Orlando so the chances of it happening again are slim to none today. But Im going to try and adjust it anyways just because I hate the high idle situation from no where..... I hate how it stays at a high RPM between shifts as well sometimes. Will this correction adjust that problem too?
    BlobEye Syndicate #-666
    Stage II 04' WRX Black (Performance Race Solutions Tuned 310whp)
    "its never enough"

Registered User TurboTransport0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipetto View Post
    I see a loosened cable in my future.
    Thanks for the heads up!
    I loosened up my CC and my throttle cable, it did the job for me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.