DIY Velocity Stack Mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on DIY Velocity Stack Mod within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; It doesn't come in that many different bends is part of the problem, but you're right it's perfect stuff. I'm ...

It doesn't come in that many different bends is part of the problem, but you're right it's perfect stuff. I'm going to take the resonator to the Hardware store this weekend and see what I can find. The other option is cut the bottom portion of the resonator off then seal it somehow....hmmm.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I did this mod some months ago. You need a $5.00, 3.5 in ID rubber elbow from home depot or whatever hardware store you want to visit.

The hose I purchased was female on both ends. I cut the one end off entirely and trimmed the hell out of the remaining end so that there was just enough material to seal inside the airbox. The fit to the fender is tight. It's a really cheap CAI.

X

Thanks for the info Mister X! I'm gonna try that out this weekend.

You might try aluminum clothes dryer hose. It's firm but flexible, easy work with and makes nice bends. It is 4" in diameter, but it might fit OK on the large end of the elbow in Koji's pictures. A large hose clamp on each end should attach it firmly. You can get it at most hardware or building supply stores. Enjoy modding.

Leo
    Last edited by MtnWRX; 01-31-2003 at 10:11 AM.
    "Stupid should hurt."

The rubber elbow works perfectly. I left my air scoop in place. You can remove and install the rubber elbow just by crushing it and forcing it through the airbox into the fender at the desired angle. Bedabi and some others here use a polished metal velocity stack purchased at summit racing. I believe bedabi even recalls the PN.

For me, the rubber pipe is just the trick. I don't think a CAI much helps this engine, but it can't hurt. From my perspective, $5.00 and an hour's work (if that) is just about free. Coupled with a good flat panel filter, I think this intake is quite good.

But credit is due Jeorg at projectwrx.com. I used his directions to do mine.

X

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by koji
    It doesn't come in that many different bends is part of the problem, but you're right it's perfect stuff. I'm going to take the resonator to the Hardware store this weekend and see what I can find. The other option is cut the bottom portion of the resonator off then seal it somehow....hmmm.....
    I'm running w/ the "hacked" silencer now (resonator portion removed) like so:

Here's what Nexus 6 did:

I'll mess around this weekend.

Big Sky

I just took a hacksaw to the middle of the restrictor. Then I popped it back into the filter box and voila, didn't have to buy a damn thing. The box still only pulls air from the fender. I also cut the weather stripping along the front of the hood where it could (possibly) slow airflow into the snorkel and I also took my dremel tool to the front of the snorkel to smooth out the airflow. I don't know how much this helps, but it's 100% free.

Wrinklechops
    Here's the problem. Your elbow looks nothing like this:

And that's a real velocity stack.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

And yes, my apologies for bumping the oldest thread in the book possibly.
    Last edited by Wrinklechops; 06-17-2009 at 07:38 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    my last iteration on intakes was blocking off the front hole (oe piece) and using a velocity stack on the inside of the wheel well

iirc I had to trim the stack a little bit in one area for fitment

yeah this is a pretty old thread
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    my last iteration on intakes was blocking off the front hole (oe piece) and using a velocity stack on the inside of the wheel well

iirc I had to trim the stack a little bit in one area for fitment

yeah this is a pretty old thread

Yea, I saw your thread Big Sky I don't think I want to spend $50 on a nice v-stack if it doesn't do anything for performance really. You said you didn't notice much of a difference? I might save the cash for a SPT or K+N intake....

I Support ClubWRX
    I didn't notice much of a difference to be honest, that's not to say it didn't add something to the mix- it certainly may have

small gains are very hard to gauge

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sky WRX View Post
    I didn't notice much of a difference to be honest, that's not to say it didn't add something to the mix- it certainly may have

small gains are very hard to gauge

True. Did you end up selling it with the car or... where is it now? I understand you are a proud owner of a newer and nicer WRX?

I Support ClubWRX
    yup went w/ the car when I sold it

newer anyways

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12