Subaru WRX Forum banner

VF39 or TD04?

12K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  c4ninja 
#1 ·
I have a issue with my stock trubo. I believe it is going out. Its at the shop as i am typing and they have a VF39 there but not a TDO4 like i was going to replace it with. Is it worth the extra money to go with the STI Turbo over the stock. It needs to be replaced any way. I know i well also need new injectors and a reflash on the ecu. I have not had my car for a week and i really miss it! So again is the STI turbo worth the extra money? I do have a up pipe downpipe AVO shortram intake and avo boost controller thus far, it was making 235whp any idea's what it well make with the slightly bigger turbo? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
If you're going to go with the VF-39 or TD-04 don't go new with either one just because they have it on hand. I'd get a used one as there are plenty of both available because people are upgrading their WRXs and STIs. You can get a really clean example of both easily with the TD-04 going for under $200 and the VF-39 going for under $400. A little patience will pay off big time if your alternative is buying new from your mechanic.

You don't have a signature that shows your current year of WRX, but if you have an '06 the VF-39 is an easy upgrade because the fuel system is good to go with it. An '02 to '05 will require fuel pump and injector upgrades as well. The VF-39 is a great cheap upgrade for the '06 and well worth the effort.

#3 ·
Thanks

Its not a new one and it would be cheaper than 400, i have found a couple TDO4's for 200 which i think is a little high. My car is a 2002 with 77,000 miles on it. I know i had to go with bigger injecter's but a fuel pump too? More money, that sucks. Thank you for the comments though. The STI Turbo well fit my up pipe and down pipe right? And is the stock Intercooler enough for now till March? I live in Oregon so the weather well not be that warm. Thanks again!

#4 ·
Its not a new one and it would be cheaper than 400, i have found a couple TDO4's for 200 which i think is a little high. My car is a 2002 with 77,000 miles on it. I know i had to go with bigger injecter's but a fuel pump too? More money, that sucks. Thank you for the comments though. The STI Turbo well fit my up pipe and down pipe right? And is the stock Intercooler enough for now till March? I live in Oregon so the weather well not be that warm. Thanks again!
the stock intercooler will be alright, you just will not get the full potential until you upgrade the intercooler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.