Cobb AP bad air/fuel Ratio w/ intake?

This is a discussion on Cobb AP bad air/fuel Ratio w/ intake? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hi i hav ea 04 wrx and i have a perrin short ram air intake and full invidia catback exhaust. ...

Cobb AP bad air/fuel Ratio w/ intake?

Hi i hav ea 04 wrx and i have a perrin short ram air intake and full invidia catback exhaust. I want to get the COBB AP so i can make it stage 2 but will i get any bad news from the aftermarket intake? Bad airfuel ratio or anything? Please help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Do you have to ge tthe street tuner with it? Or should i just get a piggy back like the perfect power 6.

You don't need the Street Tuner software. But you will also need to swap out the intake for the stocker. The stock intake is the best way to go with or without the AP. The AccessPort maps require the stock intake.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

why is it the best way to go? what would happen if i just left my perrin intake on?

You can find all the info you need on Cobb's website. Their technical bulletins and FAQs are a must read for any Subaru owner who wants to mod, anyway.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

if you get street tuner software you can tune for your air intake.

And let me clarify what was said earlier, stock intake is a must for "off the shelf" maps from cobb not for any AP map (protuned, streettuned ect.). You can be protuned for an aftermarket intake, or if you have st software you do it yourself..
    stupidman has spoken

The thing is, even if you get a tune for your intake you will only see negligible gains if any at all.
    COBBS!.....We got COBBS everywhere meng! COBBS, COBBS, COBBS!
    Blobeye Syndicate #2
    RYB - 01
    "RALLY ON"

Quote Originally Posted by StreetSlider
    Hellen Keller's favorite color is Blobeye Syndicate.

Yep, I just wanted to clarify he could keep the intake if he gets a tune for it. The stock intake is efficient enough for anything this side of 300whp .
    stupidman has spoken

alright thank you, ya i dont have the stock intake anymore and perrins short ram intake has the same MAF i think so it woudnt mess with it, any suggestions what tuning device to get?

I bought my WRX with a few mods that anybody with a search button would know wouldn't do much for performance. I don't have a stock intake thanks to the previous owner, but I got a Cobb intake, which will not degrade performance no matter what else you do. I am in hopes that by the time I can afford a protune, my car will still be in one piece despite the header I have. I would recommend that you ditch the intake you have and go back to stock. If that's not an option, go Cobb and throw your intake on eBay. I turned my AEM CAI into an intake tube for the Cobb intake, BTW.
    My water heater has a blow off valve.

Banned
    You could always trade the intake to someone that needs/doesnt know they don't need it. Snorkus FTW!