Port and Polished IC hose connections
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Port and Polished IC hose connections within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Well I have been around for awhile and have learned a lot from other DIY threads and tech posts so ...

Port and Polished IC hose connections

Well I have been around for awhile and have learned a lot from other DIY threads and tech posts so I thought I would contribute back to the community with something that I have not bumped into yet but have done myself - port and polishing the hose connections on the stock ic.

First remove the intercooler this is done by removing the 2 M12 mounting bolts on the ic and the 2 M12 bolts that bolt down the bypass valve, also unscrew the clamp on the throttle body and open the clamp on the turbo (this is a PITA if you have the stock clamp) (sorry no pics but can be found on lots of other treads).

With the ic off remove the y hose off the ic and unbolt the two hose mounts ( 4 M12 bolts).

stock

Now to do mine I used my bigger Dremel (35,000 rpm) I am sure you can use a smaller one but trust me it will take a little bit . What worked the best was a carbide cutter but it got caked up with metal quickly so I ended up just using the sanding drum.

There is no set way to do this but work slowly remember that you can always remove more if need be but you cannot at it. Start slowly and keep working the edge down until you get get within a good distance of the edge remember not to create a sharp knife edge this could damage silicone hoses if you get this then just flatten it off when done.

Slowly keep extending the tapper deeper into the tube I went about 3/4 of an inch into the tube. When done I used a wire brush on my slower Dremel to polish up the port it came out darn smooth.

(before the polish, sorry no after polish shot the gf showed up right in the middle and I had to hurry the last one and couldn't get a shot)

Now the most important part - cleaning out the mess you just made. I just hosed it off worked great easy to do but you need to get all of the material out of there or it will either get stuck in your ic or worse end up in the engine.

Comparison of stock and ported:

Then put everything back together and while you may not may not feel 20+ whp it is the little things that help. Also you have just done something that is FREE and gets you hands on with your rex... not a bad deal for an hour of your time.
    Last edited by bkotzman00; 08-15-2006 at 05:22 AM.
    04 WRX Java Black
    Mustang Dyno 218 awhp 216 awtq
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    yea you know its modified
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00
    Well I have been around for awhile and have learned a lot from other DIY threads and tech posts so I thought I would contribute back to the community with something that I have not bumped into yet but have done myself - port and polishing the hose connections on the stock ic.

First remove the intercooler this is done by removing the 2 M12 mounting bolts on the ic and the 2 M12 bolts that bolt down the bypass valve, also unscrew the clamp on the throttle body and open the clamp on the turbo (this is a PITA if you have the stock clamp) (sorry no pics but can be found on lots of other treads).

With the ic off remove the y hose off the ic and unbolt the two hose mounts ( 4 M12 bolts).

stock

Now to do mine I used my bigger Dremel (35,000 rpm) I am sure you can use a smaller one but trust me it will take a little bit . What worked the best was a carbide cutter but it got caked up with metal quickly so I ended up just using the sanding drum.

There is no set way to do this but work slowly remember that you can always remove more if need be but you cannot at it. Start slowly and keep working the edge down until you get get within a good distance of the edge remember not to create a sharp knife edge this could damage silicone hoses if you get this then just flatten it off when done.

Slowly keep extending the tapper deeper into the tube I went about 3/4 of an inch into the tube. When done I used a wire brush on my slower Dremel to polish up the port it came out darn smooth.

(before the polish)

Now the most important part - cleaning out the mess you just made. I just hosed it off worked great easy to do but you need to get all of the material out of there or it will either get stuck in your ic or worse end up in the engine.

Comparison of stock and ported:

Then put everything back together and while you may not may not feel 20+ whp it is the little things that help. Also you have just done something that is FREE and gets you hands on with your rex... not a bad deal for an hour of your time.
    for some reazon i cant see the pictures, i think you have to give the correct path for them .... instead of
    http://livedigital.com/content/734499/u111820 put like http://media.livedigital.com/picture...6276646_rs.JPG resulting in:

now ... what benefit do we get from this? (im a n00b in porting and stuff)

PD: thx for the tutorial

first sorry for the pictures I still have not gotten the hang of those how did you get the link that worked?

As for the benifit it is small by itself but if you do the whole system like I am doing the throttle body tonight and the exhaust headers next week. But if you look at the comparison shot the air is going through my silicone hoses and then it all most hits a 3mm wall which is the leading edge of where it connects to the ic. Now by porting it you are almost eliminating that interruption in the air flow which is the same reason you replace the stock y pipe with silicone ones.
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Quote Originally Posted by bkotzman00
    first sorry for the pictures I still have not gotten the hang of those how did you get the link that worked?

As for the benifit it is small by itself but if you do the whole system like I am doing the throttle body tonight and the exhaust headers next week. But if you look at the comparison shot the air is going through my silicone hoses and then it all most hits a 3mm wall which is the leading edge of where it connects to the ic. Now by porting it you are almost eliminating that interruption in the air flow which is the same reason you replace the stock y pipe with silicone ones.
    click on the pictures on your photo hosting account until you can see that picture alone, then right click on the pic ---- properties --- and then copy the line that says 'location'

did you do both inlets to the intercooler? because after the Y the boost shoots in at 2 places, just wondering if both were done or which one you did
    thanks
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by 2002MidnightWRX View Post
    did you do both inlets to the intercooler? because after the Y the boost shoots in at 2 places, just wondering if both were done or which one you did
    thanks
    Jeff
    I did both elbows
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

alright thanks

alright thanks
    let me know if you have any other questions if you are doing the ic elbows and you are up to it I suggest doing the throttle body since the ic is already off
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

Red face

is the throttle body that much harder? i could use a couple tips for that one... wow i cannot believe how much of a pain putting the intercooler but onto the stock turbo connection but yea a couple steps that you took would be awesome
    thanks

is the throttle body that much harder? i could use a couple tips for that one... wow i cannot believe how much of a pain putting the intercooler but onto the stock turbo connection but yea a couple steps that you took would be awesome
    thanks
    sure I will see if I can find the link that I used but the key is tape everything shut before you start grinding because there is an oil line that goes through the throttle body and you don't want to get metal shavings in there and have them pumped into the engine

edit: here you go let me know if I can fill in any holes for you throttle body port
    Last edited by bkotzman00; 11-29-2006 at 01:40 PM.
    04 WRX Java Black
    1978 Honda CB400Tll
    1974 Honda CB750 Bobber
    still in the works

my only question is that i do not understand which part of the butterfly to not grind, in order to keep a tight seal? and which parts do i need to tape up? and also the gaskets being off was mentioned, should i bore them a little?
    thanks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.