improved catch can mod
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on improved catch can mod within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; see, the greddy catch can is hollow - thats right, nothing inside it. so basically it lets air go from ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

improved catch can mod

see, the greddy catch can is hollow - thats right, nothing inside it. so basically it lets air go from one tube to another, not filtering anything out. so to solve this, i put some brillo-esque steel pads in there to create some sort of baffling to disturb the air and give it more surface area so it would "catch" the oil vapers in the air.

but there was still a problem - since the inlet/outlet points on the can are right next to eachother, the air just goes right above the brillo pads and doesn't even reach the bottom of the can.

solution: take a clear vinyl tube about 4-5 inches in length, cut tip to fit, then insert into one of the tube openings- either the one will work fine. here is what mine looked like
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    now the air has to go through the brillo pads to get to the other tube - that way you get maximum filterage (?) from the catch can
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails catch can inside.jpg  
    Last edited by Penguinking; 12-05-2002 at 06:41 PM.
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Hey penguinking!

Do you know, or can you tell me what the demensions are for your catch can? I have a buddy who works with steel plating a lot and he agreed to help me make one. I don't know if size is a big factor for this part, but I want to make sure we don't make on rediculously small or large

Thanks!

You should probably use stainless steel wool if you can find some, regular steel wool rusts pretty quickly and some of the chemicals in the oil will cause corrosion in the wool despite the oil present.
    http://homepage.mac.com/supermarkus/PhotoAlbum1.html

Mullet haiku:
    Daughter's BMX
    Takes me to welfare office
    Trans Am is on blocks

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by supermarkus
    You should probably use stainless steel wool if you can find some, regular steel wool rusts pretty quickly and some of the chemicals in the oil will cause corrosion in the wool despite the oil present.
    don't worry i got the stainless kind - and its not the fine steel wool, its the thick industrial kind
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I Support ClubWRX
    dimensions are

L: 3 1/4
    W: 2 1/4
    H: 7

all in inches

don't forget that the little tube that runs along one of the sides for checking the level of the catch can - though i didnt nclude that in the dimensions, these are of the can itself only.

-Robert
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

I Support ClubWRX
    here's a pic of what i used for baffling. its just some type of steel wool, i was able to pack about 4 of these things in there nice and snug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails baffling.jpg  
    Silver 911
    WRX's older brother

Sorry for bringing up an old dead post...

BUT, I was just wondering about doing something like this. Seemed kinda stupid to put a can on to just let air circulate more. Just like rain -- you need something for the liquid to condense on.

Has this been working well for you for the past few years? No problems with the pad breaking apart and lodging in your intake?
    Hawkeye - 808
    2006 WRB Wagon
    mod list http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/2188188-post359.html - hopefully.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.