TGV MOD REQUEST/ Porting along with it
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on TGV MOD REQUEST/ Porting along with it within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hey just wondering if someone can post this DIY mod i know the porting is different but usualy they go ...

TGV MOD REQUEST/ Porting along with it

Hey just wondering if someone can post this DIY mod i know the porting is different but usualy they go hand in hand. Yes ive searched but cant find anything worth while. thanks
    TheJ original quote
    I didn't just fall off the truck from riceville. I mean how do you know the earth is round? You have a book that "SAYS" so... That doesn't mean too much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

there's a bit of a write-up on scoobymods.

its a pain in the ass job. I did it with help from the local subie guys.

I just got the APS TGV deletes because they eliminate the bar that runs through the housing and comes with a mechanical CEL fix you can't get anywhere else. (as far as I'm concerened, if you can't get rid of that bar, its not worth doing).
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

i heard it was still worth it even with the bar. i saw the thread on scooby mods but its to hard to follow without pics and such. I'm going to have my car apart next week doing injectors so i heard this is a good time to do it. also i may port and polish some things what objects are best to port if im doing the injectors?>
    TheJ original quote
    I didn't just fall off the truck from riceville. I mean how do you know the earth is round? You have a book that "SAYS" so... That doesn't mean too much.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonbeeb
    i heard it was still worth it even with the bar. i saw the thread on scooby mods but its to hard to follow without pics and such. I'm going to have my car apart next week doing injectors so i heard this is a good time to do it. also i may port and polish some things what objects are best to port if im doing the injectors?>
    yeah, that's the best time to do it because you pull the TGV housings out and THEN pull the GBOD's off and replace the injectors, but its still WAY more of a job than just doing the injectors.

Its a crappy install....that's all there is to it. you have to disconnect pretty much every hose and tube running over the motor...and then then put them back the right way
    go f*** yourself

what is a GBOD. kinda new to this all. is it possible to change the fuel rail lines to braided ones like some of the aftermarket kits come with. cleans things up and would hold better pressure. while i have all this apart is there anything i should port and polish?
    TheJ original quote

what is a GBOD. kinda new to this all. is it possible to change the fuel rail lines to braided ones like some of the aftermarket kits come with. cleans things up and would hold better pressure. while i have all this apart is there anything i should port and polish?
    green brackets of death...they're these green brackets that cover the fuel injectors and fuel rails.

You don't need new fuel rails...its a waste of money. the problem is not the fuel rails, but the heads...they just flow different rates in different cylinders. you're better off getting Ultimate Racing's cylinder-matched injectors. they're flow-matched for each cylinder rather than to eachother to even out flow rates and EGT's. MUCH cheaper and less work than new fuel rails.

The GBOD's are the worst part of the injector install....getting them off is a HUGE pain in the ass. If you're doing TGV deletes, you can pull the TGV housing out (the injectors and BGOD's are on the TGV housing) and THEN remove/reinstall making that part of the job easier...but overall its much more work. When you re-install, only put back the GBOD bolts that are easy to get to...there's still plenty of bolts to hold it in place. Some people don't put them back...but they're there to keep the fuel rail from leaking durring accidents and starting fires...I like them.

there's a howto for the injector install in the tutorial section...check it out. it has some good pictures.

another mod you can do while you're in there is the throtttlebody coolant bypass. if you don't live somewhere cold, this will lower your charg air temp a bit. there's a coolant line that runs through the throttlebody...its supposed to warm it up on cold days to keep it from freezing. if you live somewhere where that's not a concern, you can bypass the throttlebody (just connect the in and out coolant lines together), and this will keep coolant (which is normally warmer than your air charge) from warming up your incoming air...like I said, don't do it if you live in Maine, or Canada. There's a writeup on scoobymods for this too.
    Last edited by blarg; 07-18-2006 at 01:05 PM.
    go f*** yourself

guess the coolant mod is out i live in canada lol. i have UR injectors 725cc's i think they are, there on the way should be here today or tomororow, is anything worth porting at that stage when im doing the injectors?
    TheJ original quote

guess the coolant mod is out i live in canada lol. i have UR injectors 725cc's i think they are, there on the way should be here today or tomororow, is anything worth porting at that stage when im doing the injectors?
    sounds like you already got the cylinder-matched injectors, so I definately would NOT change fuel rails...those injectors are matched for the stock fuel rail.

anything else worth porting...the throttlebody (if you're doing the TGV's).
    go f*** yourself

what do i need to do the port. i have a dremel im assuming just a certain bit. is there a write up on this floating around/?
    TheJ original quote

yeah, you pretty much go to town with teh dremel. Scoobymods will have it if there is one. don't take off too much and make sure you keep it smooth to reduce air turbulence.

make sure you get it VERY VERY clean afterwards because metal shavings + intake = bad.

you may want to consider buying a "spare" set on ebay or something, and working THAT set instead, and then just swapping and selling yours afterwards.

I may have a spare set of OEM TGV housings...I'll know as soon as I sell my WRX.
    Last edited by blarg; 07-18-2006 at 07:19 PM.
    go f*** yourself

aight thanks alot blarg, youve been incredibly helpful. keep up the diy's im a fan of them
    TheJ original quote

aight thanks alot blarg, youve been incredibly helpful. keep up the diy's im a fan of them
    unfortunately, I'm divesting myself of the WRX.

5 years and 100k miles later, its time for a change.
    go f*** yourself

get an sti then
    TheJ original quote

blarg has a new boyfriend.
    SoCal F4 #22 Shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Forester 2.5 XTi View Post
    If aesthetics was 1st, I wouldn't have bought a Forester!

Quote Originally Posted by Fahren
    blarg has a new boyfriend.
    jealous?
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.