DIY: make your own catch can for <$25 - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on DIY: make your own catch can for < within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by T.J. NO . You don't need this. It is something to kill time for cheap, obsessive, worry ...

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. View Post
    NO. You don't need this. It is something to kill time for cheap, obsessive, worry warts like me.

The theory is that you might fractionally extend the life of your turbo by keeping a tiny amount of oil, water, and fuel mix from making its way into your intake. You'll be fine with out doing this mod.

On the other hand if you believe that it does something significant, then YES, it will have the same benefits for someone w/ a stock WRX as it does for a modified one. So you should probably do it. Maybe.

Besides, if you don't do it and your turbo dies prematurely you will always wonder if it would have saved you.

Hope this helps, T.J.
    +1, well said. exactly why i chose to do this.
    "I do well to be angry, even unto death."
    I ♥ rice

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

heres what mine looks like:

I ♥ rice

where did you buy your fancy one jma 1000?

Quote Originally Posted by wrx02blk View Post
    where did you buy your fancy one jma 1000?

Looks like the one I bought at Home Depot. Look near the air compressor parts.

Edit: He may have stuffed it w/ steel wool or something that the mist could stick to.
    Last edited by T.J.; 03-23-2009 at 08:15 PM.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

yep, got all the parts at home depot. i used a coarse steel wool, like T.J. said.

haha, i cant believe how NEW my engine bay looks! i definitely need to clean it.
    I ♥ rice

sorry to bring this post back to life, but how did this air compressor catch can work out for you? can you see the oil build up in the bottom? thinking about doing this tomorrow.

Registered User Tattooed11Bravo's Avatar
    I know it's been a while since this post was made, but I was wondering if anyone had any updated pics of the catch cans that people are making. I get the idea and am sure i can do it. I just prefer to see pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed11Bravo View Post
    I know it's been a while since this post was made, but I was wondering if anyone had any updated pics of the catch cans that people are making. I get the idea and am sure i can do it. I just prefer to see pics.
    would also love to see some updated pics with peoples DIY setups

So I did my catch can, looks just like jma_1000 and was wondering if the arrow on the can matters which way it was pointing. On his its pointing towards the IC. Mines the same way. Anyone know if this matters thanks

I tried finding that husky filter BUT this was the smallest, most comparable one i could find:

Ok, so most of the links to pictures have gone dead but ive pretty much got it i think.

the filter at the 4 o-clock position is coming from the crank case and into the inlet hose on the last port before the turbo
    the filter at the 9 o-clock position is coming from the hard PCV pipe across the inter cooler into the first port on the inlet hose.

my question is: I have been unable to locate the grey/white PCV valve w/ electronic connector and as i read, my understanding is that the 02, 03 models have the PCV valve w/ no electronic components attached to the intake manifold below the throttle body. the crank case vent is a oddly shaped 'T' fitting with one hose going to the PCV valve and the other going to the turbo inlet hose (the one ive added a filter to)

so for best results i should i splice in a fitting to the crank case vent---> to the filter----> to the PCV valve on the intake manifold?

or should i just plug the other side of the 'T' fitting going to the PVC valve on the intake manifold and splice in a new 'T' fitting on the filtered end of the already installed hose going to the turbo inlet---->back to the PCV valve?

both involve me taking the intercooler off, the Throttle body off and cutting the line going to the PCV valve. but is capping off one of that oddly shaped 'T' fittings ends going to screw something up? i mean in there a valve in there? why is is so oddly shaped?

oh god i am has a confuse

Looks like a snake found a home in your engine.

Quote Originally Posted by jma_1000 View Post
    heres what mine looks like:

can you describe the item purchased from home depot? Did you find it in the plumbing dept? I purchased a Perrin oil catch can filter but your set up is much cleaner and takes less space. Based on the flow diagram, your set up catches rocker vapors. Are you doing anything with the crank case vapors.

Everybody's systems look great! Was kind of skeptical at first but I'm a worry wart like TJ and will try anything (within reason) to try and squeak as many miles out of my turbo as possible. Pics to follow soon
    Stink-Eye MOB #452
    straight pipes save lives

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.