DIY: make your own catch can for <$25 - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on DIY: make your own catch can for < within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by PghRedBean Even with the clamps tightned down to where they started cutting the hose it still came ...

Quote Originally Posted by PghRedBean View Post
    Even with the clamps tightned down to where they started cutting the hose it still came apart. straight fittings don't hold well. Perhaps it was because the connector was close to a bend in the hose...I don't know, but for all the extra parts I had to buy and how I had to re-assemble and re-seal the entire can to keep from losing vac and getting a rough idle, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Plus the paint job on the can wasn't near as nice as that shown in the picture. I worked, don't get me wrong, but it was a big headache. The Perrin can was completely painless and was installed in 20 minutes.

your call.
    going the other route , crawford racing or a stock oil seperator from a conquest
    that allows it to drain back to the oil pan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you decide to go dual catch can, this is how it is set up...

Quote Originally Posted by WRXreX View Post

very good diagram...explained well...im working on a catch can now and thats very helpful, thanks
    **** off with your candy paint jobs and spoilers that are 8x too big , I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

Question

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on how the PCV valve works. Does it open when the crankcase pressure is higher than that in the intake manifold (during vacuum and no boost), then close when the manifold sees boost so it doesn't pressurize the crankcase?

If so, then if you connect a can inline with that, it will catch the oil vapor when the valve is open. If the valve is not open, then there would be no flow through there, but the other can will remove the vapors from the crankcase(during periods of boost). I don't think there is a need to connect the second can to the intake (always at vacuum), simply place it in between the crankcase port and the PCV valve to remove oil vapors when the valve is open.

If I am wrong, please correct me, but that is my understanding of how it all works.

Latest pictures as of 04/19/06

Spent an half hour today installing crankcase to turboinlet catch can.
    Where did you get the hoses and those copper looking fittings?

update as of 02/6/07

New fiilter

Last edited by WRXreX; 02-06-2007 at 07:17 PM.

Question

[QUOTE=WRXreX;1822205]update as of 02/6/07
    New fiilter
    QUOTE]

What type of filter media is in the new filter?
    2006 Aspen White WRX tr

[QUOTE=My06WRX;1832726]
    update as of 02/6/07
    New fiilter
    QUOTE]

What type of filter media is in the new filter?
    it looks like a steel scrubbing pad that you use to scrub out the pots and pans at a restaurant.

Yep that it does... That would probably make a good medium for filtration. I'm heading to HD or Lowes in the am to pick up my parts.
    2006 Aspen White WRX tr

hey you can get everything from home depot just got mine today and going to install it tomorrow ill take some pictures
    TURBO LAG = FOREPLAY
    04 black WRX
    Blobeye Syndicate # 2005

Here is the latest update on CC:

this was pretty easy, thanks for the write-up. I used the same filter that the OP used, bought it at home depot.
    I noticed a small drop of oil on the rim of the inlet hose when i took it off, so im glad im putting this catch can on.
    Ended up using the stock inlet lines though, just cut a small piece from it, and attached the hose on both ends. looks pretty clean. i will get some pics of it posted this evening.

now, on to de-badging!
    "I do well to be angry, even unto death."
    I ♥ rice

Seriously?

do i really need this? if i have a cool air intake? + full muff? does everyone need one? even a stock wrx?

Quote Originally Posted by Buglight View Post
    do i really need this? if i have a cool air intake? + full muff? does everyone need one? even a stock wrx?
    NO. You don't need this. It is something to kill time for cheap, obsessive, worry warts like me.

The theory is that you might fractionally extend the life of your turbo by keeping a tiny amount of oil, water, and fuel mix from making its way into your intake. You'll be fine with out doing this mod.

On the other hand if you believe that it does something significant, then YES, it will have the same benefits for someone w/ a stock WRX as it does for a modified one. So you should probably do it. Maybe.

Besides, if you don't do it and your turbo dies prematurely you will always wonder if it would have saved you.

Hope this helps, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.