DIY: make your own catch can for <$25 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on DIY: make your own catch can for < within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Go to plumbing section for hoses, clamps and elbows. Go to air compressor section for filters. Autozone and Advance Auto ...

Go to plumbing section for hoses, clamps and elbows.
    Go to air compressor section for filters. Autozone and Advance Auto Parts also carry filters and hoses (high quality).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you're going to want to take out that white paper filter in the compressor moisture filter can. i've known that with that same setup my friend was sucking his tubes flat but once he removed it, no more issues.

If you are so concerned about compressor filter causing too much backpressure, here is what you can do instead.

so the guys with the black, softer tubing, did you find those at autozone and other places like that? I just want to know b/c my setup uses the harder clear-braided hose.

are you guys noticing anything being caught in your cans? mine doesn't seem to be picking up a lot. 13k miles, oil change every 2500. tiny bit at the bottom, compared to my friends SRT-4 which seems to be catching a crap load (and yes, i know its a dodge).

Yes, I am catching small amount of oil...

i just did one on my fxt and my buddy did his on his wagon..wondering has anyone had melting plastic issues with runing them inbetween the intake runners..i was gonna do it but didnt wanna melt it so i have it sittin horizontally??

Update as of 12/01/06

Quote Originally Posted by redgeeteeeye View Post
    i just did one on my fxt and my buddy did his on his wagon..wondering has anyone had melting plastic issues with runing them inbetween the intake runners..i was gonna do it but didnt wanna melt it so i have it sittin horizontally??
    Mine never melted... just some scratches.

Synthetic oil and Polycarbonate bowls

I've read that synthetic motor oils tend to make polycarbonate (the bowl on the compressor filters are usually polycarbonate) brittle. Has anyone had a problem with the polycarbonate bowl cracking?

I just installed a can over by the passenger side strut tower and ran some hose to the vent tube you have your home depot special on. My question is this, how many crankcase vents are there? There seem to be more than just that one, plus, the one I have it on seems that it feeds the intake manifold directly which means when in boost it won't be sucking any vapors out of the engine, instead it will reverse the flow and blow into the motor. Is there a port on the inlet side of the turbo that can be connected to my can to keep it in a vacuum at all times? Are there just those two vent tubes, or are there more feeding into the intercooler?

Thanks.

all that work when you could just buy this lol think i will
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R View Post
    all that work when you could just buy this lol think i will
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBAR...QQcmdZViewItem
    I bought one of those for my Scion tC and it was a piece of junk. It leaked and required a lot more hose and it included no fittings for connecting to the stock vent tubes. The two connectors it did provide were non-barbed, so they just popped off sometimes while driving. Piece of junk. Enjoy it.

You get what you pay for. The Perrin can was expensive, but it took me 20 minutes to install since everything was provided in the kit and is of high quality.

thats why its sold with clamps , if yours popped off then you must have not used the clamps .

Quote Originally Posted by C89ZX7R View Post
    thats why its sold with clamps , if yours popped off then you must have not used the clamps .
    Even with the clamps tightned down to where they started cutting the hose it still came apart. straight fittings don't hold well. Perhaps it was because the connector was close to a bend in the hose...I don't know, but for all the extra parts I had to buy and how I had to re-assemble and re-seal the entire can to keep from losing vac and getting a rough idle, it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Plus the paint job on the can wasn't near as nice as that shown in the picture. I worked, don't get me wrong, but it was a big headache. The Perrin can was completely painless and was installed in 20 minutes.

your call.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.