DIY: VF34 turbo on WRX (with pictures!)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on DIY: VF34 turbo on WRX (with pictures!) within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Finally completed VF34 install on my 02 WRX. It took me total 7 hours to complete turbo and injectors because ...

DIY: VF34 turbo on WRX (with pictures!)

Finally completed VF34 install on my 02 WRX. It took me total 7 hours to complete turbo and injectors because of some of the minor problems I encountered along the install.

1. Stud came off of uppipe flange which took me 2 hours to fix it.
    2. I completely forgot to remove blue and green connectors after reflashing the ECU. Took me an hour to figure this out. :lol:

Tools you need:

10, 12, 14, 17mm sockets with long extension
    3/8", 1/2" ratchet
    Air tool, impact gun or breaker bar
    PB BLASTER
    Rubber caps to seal coolant hoses
    Nitrile goves if available
    plier
    can of brake cleaner

Here are some instructions that you may find useful. Sorry about some of poor quality pictures. I didn't realize that until it was too late.

Please see my injector install thread for a method on removing intercooler and airbox.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...=964852&page=2

There are five 14mm bolts you have to remove as shown here (spray generously with PB blaster a few hours before the install). These bolts hold downpipe and turbo together. Two 14mm bolts are hidden below the downpipe.

Downpipe unbolted from turbo:

Remove intercooler bracket as shown here. Two 12mm bolts.

Unbolt this 10mm clamp on turbo inlet.

Remove T-hose as circled in RED (sorry.. no close up picture)

Turbo install was done without using a jackstand. You can do it by simply unmounting exhaust hanger to allow TBE to move backward.

Remove 14mm oil inlet bolt on top of turbo and bend hard oil line away from the turbo. Be careful not to snap the line.

Another picture of bent hard oil line:

Remove 3 14mm bolts that hold turbo against uppipe flange. Shown below is the one located closet to downpipe. One on left needs to be removed.
    Last edited by WRXreX; 03-22-2006 at 05:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Picture below shows the followings:

1. Remaining two bolts that must be removed.
    2. Coolant pipe on turbo (disconnected coolant return hose - not shown. Be sure to cap this hose to minimize coolant loss).

Once you have disconnected the coolant return hose, you should be able to lift the turbo and disconnect it from uppipe flange.

Before you do this step, make sure coolant hose to turbo is also disconnected (circled in RED below). You may lose some coolant so be sure to seal it up.

Black hose shown in the center is oil outlet hose, which connects to the oil outlet hard pipe on the turbo (notice squeeze clip on the hose)
    Last edited by WRXreX; 03-22-2006 at 05:22 PM.

Now, it's time to put a new turbo back on. Most important thing is to put your hand as shown below and hold turbo return hose (shown above) with your left hand. While you are holding it with your left hand, using your right hand, gently sit the oil return hard pipe and push it down. Once it's completely down, use a squeeze clip to secure it. This may be the hardest part during the turbo install. Since my hand is relatively small, I didn't have much trouble. At the same time, turbo inlet pipe must be connected to the turbo.

Use 3 14mm bolts to secure turbo. One closest to the downpipe (shown below) should be put on right after you put the gasket on or it will block the gasket.

Put a gasket on.

By gently bending the oil hard line, align it and use 14mm bolt to connect to turbo (circled in RED). Be sure to use a washer while putting it back on.

Reconnect the coolant return hose as shown here. Circled in red.

Use 5 14mm bolts to bolt down pipe to turbo. Also, connect coolant hose to the turbo.

Tighten 10mm bolt on turbo inlet clamp

Put T-hose back on the turbo as circled in RED.

Next step is to Prime the turbo. What I have done is to pull the ignition fuse (#11) from the fuse box under the steering wheel column. Crank the engine for a few times or so to make sure oil has reached the turbo.

As a final step, it's up to you on how to reflash the ECU using your own EM. Also, make sure to check for any leak around downpipe and turbo areas. It's good to check after a day of install to see if there are any oil leaks in the turbo area as you don't want to have oil starvation problem (watch for oil level daily for a few days).

Most important step is to refill lost coolant. Easiest method is to turn on the engine after you are done priming the turbo and adding coolant through a tiny coolant reservoir (reservior with 'blitz' written on the cap). You can see bubbles coming out as you add coolant and coolant level dropping. Keep adding coolant until level doesn't drop anymore.

Last edited by WRXreX; 03-22-2006 at 05:26 PM.

nice write up
    SOCAL F4#02 OG member

2002 PSM WRX stage 6
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

Excellent work, I'm going to bookmark this write up for my future diy installation this summer!

I will be tackling this install as well as injectors and TGV delete manifold shortly. I'm glad I FINALLY found instructions with pictures.

the GBOD's still scare me a bit.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

They really arnt that bad, you just have to think about what you are doing before you try to take them off, if that makes any sense.
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

Quote Originally Posted by rex=my_life
    They really arnt that bad, you just have to think about what you are doing before you try to take them off, if that makes any sense.
    this from a guy who used to have a stoned towel for an avatar.

I'm sure its just the name...I wouldn't think twice if people didn't call those things green brackets OF DEATH.

I'll be doing it at an install meet anyway, so if I get into trouble I'm sure someone will bail me out.
    go f*** yourself

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    this from a guy who used to have a stoned towel for an avatar.
    Youve got me there. And just for future referance it was a stoned towel with a meat grinder hat.

And now my avatar is so intelectual(sp). Nevermind, I cant even spell intelectual right, Im giving up on having people think Im smart.

I Support ClubWRX
    WRXreX, that's such a great post, thanks (this from someone not even doing a turbo swap -- it's just a very informative post with great pics and is apprecaited!)!!

rex=my_life, your avatar, The Temptation of St. Anthony, is one of my favourite Dalis.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by rex=my_life
    Youve got me there. And just for future referance it was a stoned towel with a meat grinder hat.

...lest we forget

and I've seen that painting in person...its much bigger in real life.
    go f*** yourself

SD_GR, thanks for your kind words. I will be installing DIY catch can next. Not sure if it's worth writing an instruction for it. At any rate, I hope someone will find it useful. I also searched around for stage 4 instruction, but was never able to find anything useful with step by step instruction.

I didn't even bother to write an instruction for Walbro fuel pump since it's fairly easy.

It has been over two months since the install. So far, everything is great without any problem.

I got my car Protuned right after VF34 install and one of the problem we had encountered was pill that came with the turbo wasn't the optimal size. Tuner tried using various pill sizes and we settled on a specific size. Make sure to check that you are correct pill size as it could affect the tune.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXreX
    It has been over two months since the install. So far, everything is great without any problem.

I got my car Protuned right after VF34 install and one of the problem we had encountered was pill that came with the turbo wasn't the optimal size. Tuner tried using various pill sizes and we settled on a specific size. Make sure to check that you are correct pill size as it could affect the tune.
    little revival. im doing a vf30 install in a few weeks. what pill did you end up using?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast