DIY: VF34 turbo on WRX (with pictures!) - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on DIY: VF34 turbo on WRX (with pictures!) within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; bump for those looking to step up to stage 4...

bump for those looking to step up to stage 4

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

very helpful, took me a while to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXreX View Post
    bump for those looking to step up to stage 4
    in your travels, did you come across and remove that dreaded mesh oil "filter"? in the oil feed line?
    keeping it as is til a 2011 is in the driveway

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXreX View Post
    Now, it's time to put a new turbo back on. Most important thing is to put your hand as shown below and hold turbo return hose (shown above) with your left hand. While you are holding it with your left hand, using your right hand, gently sit the oil return hard pipe and push it down. Once it's completely down, use a squeeze clip to secure it. This may be the hardest part during the turbo install. Since my hand is relatively small, I didn't have much trouble. At the same time, turbo inlet pipe must be connected to the turbo.

Use 3 14mm bolts to secure turbo. One closest to the downpipe (shown below) should be put on right after you put the gasket on or it will block the gasket.

Put a gasket on.

By gently bending the oil hard line, align it and use 14mm bolt to connect to turbo (circled in RED). Be sure to use a washer while putting it back on.

Reconnect the coolant return hose as shown here. Circled in red.

Use 5 14mm bolts to bolt down pipe to turbo. Also, connect coolant hose to the turbo.

Tighten 10mm bolt on turbo inlet clamp

Put T-hose back on the turbo as circled in RED.

Next step is to Prime the turbo. What I have done is to pull the ignition fuse (#11) from the fuse box under the steering wheel column. Crank the engine for a few times or so to make sure oil has reached the turbo.

As a final step, it's up to you on how to reflash the ECU using your own EM. Also, make sure to check for any leak around downpipe and turbo areas. It's good to check after a day of install to see if there are any oil leaks in the turbo area as you don't want to have oil starvation problem (watch for oil level daily for a few days).

Most important step is to refill lost coolant. Easiest method is to turn on the engine after you are done priming the turbo and adding coolant through a tiny coolant reservoir (reservior with 'blitz' written on the cap). You can see bubbles coming out as you add coolant and coolant level dropping. Keep adding coolant until level doesn't drop anymore.

I know I am stupid, but what is the VF34 turbo? I am curious cuz I want a bigger turbo on my 05 wrx... is the VF34 the turbo from the STi by chance? it's a direct fit, I'm assuming?

Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    I know I am stupid, but what is the VF34 turbo? I am curious cuz I want a bigger turbo on my 05 wrx... is the VF34 the turbo from the STi by chance? it's a direct fit, I'm assuming?
    The vf34 is similar to the vf39 turbo but has a slightly larger exhaust side and a ball bearing center cartridge. It makes slightly more power and spools up slightly faster than the vf39.

Most people feel the vf34 is a waste of money because a used vf39 can be found for less than half the price of a vf34.

The vf39 is known for cracking on the exhaust housing, the larger exhaust housing of the vf34 does not.

I have a vf34 running 20psi. Dyno sheets are here:

Index of /wrx

Mods are in sig.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    How much more hp might the VF34 produce over the stock turbo on say, an 05 wrx? Where can you get a VF34 turbo? who makes it? do you need to upgrade fuel pump and injectors and exhaust system at all? you're pushing 275 to the wheels with that thing? That kicks ass... STi's don't even put that much to the ground do they?

I'm not sure how much a stock WRX puts down, I would guess around 155whp give or take 10.

When I first put the car on the dyno it had Cobb's vf34 map with streettuner used to disable the codes for the TGV delete. The car on the dyno before mine was a stock STI, which put down 245whp/255wtq.

This is my first dyno sheet:

The vf34 is made by IHI - same company that makes the vf39, and the rest of the VF series turbo's. There are other companies which "rebuild" or change the turbo to make it their own, such as Power Enterprise 1818 (and the 1820).

I bought mine new from Gruppe-S, here's what they say about it on their page:

IHI VF34

The IHI VF-34 Turbo is found on the limited production Subaru v7 WRX STI-RA (GDB). This turbo is differentiated from the VF30 through it's more advanced bearing design. The bearing design allows for much quicker turbo spool-up (depending on tuning, 300-500+ RPMs over the VF30), while retaining the power capabilities of the VF30. The VF34 is capable of 350+ HP (~300+whp) This turbo is a direct bolt-on for all GC8, GDA, GDB EJ20 turbo engines. This is an excellent replacement turbo for those looking for substantial power gains while maintaining streetability.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    I'm not sure how much a stock WRX puts down, I would guess around 155whp give or take 10.

When I first put the car on the dyno it had Cobb's vf34 map with streettuner used to disable the codes for the TGV delete. The car on the dyno before mine was a stock STI, which put down 245whp/255wtq.

This is my first dyno sheet:

The vf34 is made by IHI - same company that makes the vf39, and the rest of the VF series turbo's. There are other companies which "rebuild" or change the turbo to make it their own, such as Power Enterprise 1818 (and the 1820).

I bought mine new from Gruppe-S, here's what they say about it on their page:

IHI VF34

The IHI VF-34 Turbo is found on the limited production Subaru v7 WRX STI-RA (GDB). This turbo is differentiated from the VF30 through it's more advanced bearing design. The bearing design allows for much quicker turbo spool-up (depending on tuning, 300-500+ RPMs over the VF30), while retaining the power capabilities of the VF30. The VF34 is capable of 350+ HP (~300+whp) This turbo is a direct bolt-on for all GC8, GDA, GDB EJ20 turbo engines. This is an excellent replacement turbo for those looking for substantial power gains while maintaining streetability.
    That rocks man, so I bet you can hang with or take out STi's, eh? Ever had a chance? I bet they're surprised lol. Thanks for the info and sorry to sound noobtastic. Just tryin to figure out if I should spend $ on software and exhaust from like COBB, or just go with an upgraded turbo. Similiar price ranges for my 05 wrx... you sure it's only putting 155 to the wheels stock? the STi puts near 100 more hp to the wheels stock? I dunno man... i think the WRX probably puts closer to 170-180 to the wheels, don'tcha think? i hear the STi puts closer to 220ish to the wheels stock too... maybe I'm wrong idk

Nra4life

It can take a stock STI. A stage one or just an exhaust with no tune seems to be pretty close, I might pull slightly. A stage 2 STI with a good tune will pull away from me thanks to the added torque.

My ej205 is stock, with over 90k miles on it. I don't really beat on it too often, but definitely have a self control problem with boost sometimes. The vf34 starts spooling around 2500rpm's, heading towards boil around 2900, and full boost available at 3300rpms. I can hit 20psi in first gear. I occasionally get sideways around a corner when traffic is light and visibility is good. Car averages 24mpg unless I'm using the air, then as low as 18mpg. I think the vf34 is the perfect turbo for the 2 liter engine. The resulting power range is excellent for daily driving, with ample torque available as long as the rev's are above 3k.

Eventually the ej205 will be replaced by a built ej257 - if not by me then by one of my 3 brothers or 4 sisters ....

.... assuming they can get the keys

.... from my cold dead hand

Wrinklechops
    It can take a stock STI. A stage one or just an exhaust with no tune seems to be pretty close, I might pull slightly. A stage 2 STI with a good tune will pull away from me thanks to the added torque.

My ej205 is stock, with over 90k miles on it. I don't really beat on it too often, but definitely have a self control problem with boost sometimes. The vf34 starts spooling around 2500rpm's, heading towards boil around 2900, and full boost available at 3300rpms. I can hit 20psi in first gear. I occasionally get sideways around a corner when traffic is light and visibility is good. Car averages 24mpg unless I'm using the air, then as low as 18mpg. I think the vf34 is the perfect turbo for the 2 liter engine. The resulting power range is excellent for daily driving, with ample torque available as long as the rev's are above 3k.

Eventually the ej205 will be replaced by a built ej257 - if not by me then by one of my 3 brothers or 4 sisters ....

.... assuming they can get the keys

.... from my cold dead hand
    LOL rock on bro. So the EJ205 is different than my EJ220 engine? I have a 05 WRX... And yea, for about $1200 (instead of like, the Stage 2 setup from COBB for $1800) that VF34 looks just perfect... You didn't have to upgrade injectors or fuel pump or exhaust right?

That boost you're talking about sounds so fun... I want one!

mods are in sig - but yes, I have upgraded the fuel pump, injectors, and exhaust system

I don't know about the 2.2 engine, you might want to look on nasioc.

Wrinklechops
    mods are in sig - but yes, I have upgraded the fuel pump, injectors, and exhaust system

I don't know about the 2.2 engine, you might want to look on nasioc.
    You've got some sick mods. I wish I could afford half the **** you have lol.

I have an '05 WRX it's the 2.0 engine, the EJ20 right? Maybe I have that wrong...and the STi has the EJ25 right? 2.0 and 2.5 litres respectively

it's an EJ205 (2.0 liter) in the US WRX from 2002-2005

The STI gets an EJ257 (2.5 liter)

What kind of downpipe is that in the picture?

What new gaskets and stud bolts do I need to purchase for this turbo install? I'm doing a VF34 on an 02WRX this weekend and the gaskets didn't come with the turbo. Any help would be great. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.