Subaru WRX Forum banner

2017 WRX turbo blown already...

22K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  aaronmcgary46 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I'm a new first time Subaru owner. I bought 2017 WRX Premium 6MT about 6 weeks ago in Colorado. I was moving to FL, so I drove the car to FL and I have just over 5800 miles on it so far. I started hearing a stange noise while driving home from work on Saturday the 17th. I was pretty sure it sounded like it was coming from the turbo. It would happen when I would accelerate in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th at about 4000rpm the noise would start. It wouldn't matter how fast I accelerated, I could ease into the rpm range and the noise would start. It almost sounded like a noise a fan makes when something hits the fan while spinning. So I thought maybe the turbine wheel somehow became unbalanced and was hitting the housing. So I took it to the dealership on Monday and then yesterday they told me that it was the turbo. Subaru is going to cover the costs to replace the turbo. My car is completely stick and I did follow the dealers instructions for break in process to not exceed 4000rpm for the first 1k miles and to keep changing my speed by not cruising at the same speed for a period of time. I drove to about 800 miles before I started doing my road trip on the interstate. Something I was wondering if it was either normal or could have contributed to the failure of the turbo. My boost was constantly going to 21 psi. I could literally just ease into the throttle in 2nd gear (any gear) and when I get to about 4000 to 4500 rpm boost was spiking at 20.9psi just about every time. I talked to Subaru about this and they didn't really give me an answer or a reason or say if that was normal. So I was wondering if anyone has had this same issue or if this is common for every WRX. I know the manual says max boost is supposed to be 16.9 psi, and I understand the boost can and will spike. My issue is it constantly is going into 21 psi every time, even if I just do a 30% acceleration into say 4500 rpm it hits 21 psi.

I just wanted to share my story to let people know and also to find out if anyone else has had this issue or have direct knowledge of someone who has had this issue. The Subaru dealership in Tampa told me they have not seen this issue before so soon on the 17 WRX. They didn't specify about any 15 or 16's. The dealership in Tampa did give me a free loaner vehicle which they didn't have to do since I didn't buy the car from them, so I do appreciate that as it's my daily driver.

See less See more
#2 ·
The FA20F is notorious for boost spikes. It is "normal" as far as how all other cars in the market perform.

I'm sorry you had an issue. Sounds like a quality control problem and they resolved it quickly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
Today Subaru called and said they had their master technician for all seven dealerships they own look at the car and he doesn't believe it's the turbo. They are having an engineer from Subaru to come in next week to look at the car and see what to do next. I'll keep an update when I know. If anyone has had anything similar please let me know.

#8 ·
So I got my car back all that and it ended up being a screw had come off on the exhaust side causing a boost leak. I was without my car for about a week before they finally diagnosed the issue and fixed it. So my turbo is fine but still quite annoying for a brand new car.

#10 ·
I had a turbo leak on my 2012 that occurred about 25K miles--the dealer fixed it under warranty.

Turbo leaks from what I've read are not uncommon, even in BMW and other luxury cars. Unfortunate it happened so quickly, but hopefully it won't trouble you anymore and you can continue to cruise happily in your blue car.

#18 ·
Hi, I set up an appointment with my dealership a while back, the technician test drove the car and drove it pretty hard, and he said what I heard was normal turbo spooling. I sat in the passenger side back then and I couldn't hear the noise much too.

After I spent more time with my wrx, I think I couldn't hear the turbo noise during technician's test drive because engine noise got much louder when pushed hard and covered the turbo noise. If I didn't push the car hard, but enough to kick in the turbo, then I heard the noise as long as turbo is on. Also if AC is on in mid level, or if some music/radio is on, then it is much harder to hear the noise too.

I tried to record it in a video in my phone, but both turbo and engine noises are quite fainted in the video.

Based on the above description, is it likely what I heard is really just turbo spooling sound?

Thanks.

#19 ·
So I'm pretty sure I had a similar issue. I do not have any boost at all. I heard some strange hitting noises and then a little bang like something let go. And I now have zero turbo. Also noticed is lts burning oil thru the exhaust like a serious amount. Is this due to my turbo breaking? Could it affect my motor at all? I really hate this luck I'm having lately

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.