2016 WRX high pitched noise, vibrating 4th gear
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2016 WRX high pitched noise, vibrating 4th gear within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hey everyone, Ive got a couple weird things going on with my 2016 WRX with just about 4,000 miles on ...

2016 WRX high pitched noise, vibrating 4th gear

Hey everyone, Ive got a couple weird things going on with my 2016 WRX with just about 4,000 miles on it.

The first thing is a high pitched noise coming from the engine bay during slow RPM deceleration. It sounds almost like old brakes squealing but I know it is not that due to being able to recreate the sound parked at idol. I have captured the sound in a video and attached it below. Let me know what you guys think.

The second thing is that my shift knob vibrates pretty heavily when I am in 4th gear. This happens only if I am accelerating. The shifter can naturally move a bit backward and forwards while in gear, so when i accelerate it naturally goes backwards as far as possible and is vibrating, almost like its resting on something that it shouldn't be. If i gently move the shifter forward, in that pocket it has in gear, it instantly stops vibrating. This could be due to the fact that my shift knob is a bit too heavy, its 1.4 pounds. So the force of the car plus gravity of the heavier knob could be pulling the shifter back too far, I will be testing my stock knob later tonight. This also does not happen in any other gear.

Thanks everyone, let me know if any of this sounds odd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump for educated answers

Sorry, but not a clue. I'd just take it in to Subaru... it is a '16 under warranty unless you have mod'd the engine?
    Ryan
    '15 WRX Premium -- Sunroof, short throw, upgraded lights (SubiSpeed LED DRL boomerang, OLM HID 5000K low-beams, OSRAM 5000K high-beams), TapTurn, STi Wing, 20% Tint
    Other current: '92 Stealth RT/TT, '07 Avalanche LTZ
    Previous: '04 Saab 9-3, '02 WRX, '94 3000GT SL, '91 Eclipse GSX, '82 Porsche 931 (924 turbo), '79 Saab 900T, '81 Mitsubishi Starion, '80 Triumph Spitfire, '74 Saab Sonett III, '72 Opel GT

Ive got an intake and a tune so im not in the best spot. But the issues I am having could be unrelated

Water.....sometimes waves rqjoe's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    When did the sound start? Day 1? Or after the tune? No other mods "at all" ??

I have no other mods at all. And I most likely started hearing it after getting the Accessport. I dont drive around like a crazy person though. It sounds like something just needs to be greased or something.

Check your belt tension.

AFA the 4th gear thing, They will most likely blame anything transmission related on the "power" modifications.

I'd go back to stock since your mods are so light, and take it in. I remembered this thread yesterday and on the way home I noticed a very slight vibration in 4th if I pull back on the shifter, but nothing normally, and I have to pull it back with more than a couple pounds of force to feel anything.

Yeah I will be taking it in at some point. I was hoping for an easy fix or people telling me that they experience the same thing and that its normal.

I have the EXACT same issue with my 2016 WRX in 4th gear...exactly how you described it. I haven't taken it in yet because I fear what the dealer with screw up on my car (like usual).

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have warranty.....use it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Stinkeye member 520

I too feel the same thing on my 2016 wrx on 4th gear. And I just hit 1,000 miles. Maybe it's a normal thing? I'm not sure. I just kinda move the knob up to where it stops vibrating and leave it there. But it is pretty annoying none the less

I've got 3600 on my 16 and the vibration has been present in forth since it came to me at 7 miles. I've been less than concerned as it only happens then, all other gears are free of noise and vibration. I track the car and run mostly in 3rd and 4th to red line and I will worry about it when the warranty runs out. Drive it, stay in 3rd or 5th if it bugs you, turn the tunes up enjoy it or beef it to the dealer if you can't live with it. Life's to short....let the clutch out and cruise. best of luck

I drove another 2016 WRX and it actually did the same thing. I pulled off my shifter boot to take a peak and I couldn't see anything touching or rubbing (like a shifter plate) that would cause it.

Ive been noticing the same thing with my 2016 sti, i dont know when it started but i only have 1000 miles on it, and only mod ive done is a intake. afraid to use my new accessport.

Quote Originally Posted by Hintze89 View Post
    Ive been noticing the same thing with my 2016 sti, i dont know when it started but i only have 1000 miles on it, and only mod ive done is a intake. afraid to use my new accessport.
    So you are running an intake with no tune?
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 WRX COBB Surgeline Stage 2 Pro Tune
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.