Electric exhaust cutouts?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Electric exhaust cutouts? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I'm looking at electric exhaust cutouts for my wrx. Anyone know of a reliable brand? Heard people have had issues ...

Electric exhaust cutouts?

I'm looking at electric exhaust cutouts for my wrx. Anyone know of a reliable brand? Heard people have had issues with a few out there. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Curious about this... would you want a tune for open versus closed?

What year/model/mods do you currently have?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

It's an 09 wrx, which Has the sti turbo and intercooler also I've got full Perrin exhaust, cold air intake, and it's been tuned.

What model year?

Just wondering what benefits you think you'll see from an exhaust cut-out. Not really anything is to be expected from that, especially if you already have a full Perrin exhaust.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Ya, it's more for fun. But I've heard up to 11hp, and 9tq gain. Just trying to find out which brand to go with.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by B.man View Post
    But I've heard up to 11hp, and 9tq gain.

False. I'm assuming you plan to install this in the midpipe? Then it's essentially just a muffler delete. That said, since you've already got the Perrin catback (which is already fairly loud, IMO), I'm not sure it would even make that much difference noise-wise, let alone any sort of performance improvement. Personally, the results wouldn't justify the effort if I were in your shoes, but to each their own.
    Last edited by Rambo; 01-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

It's an 09 wrx, which Has the sti turbo and intercooler also I've got full Perrin exhaust, cold air intake, and it's been tuned.
    How did you get an STI intercooler to work? The TBs are in different locations.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    How did you get an STI intercooler to work? The TBs are in different locations.
    It's not that hard. You just have to get creative with some extra silicon I/C hoses. Zach had an STI intercooler installed which I now have.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Actually found a shop that will tuck it up on the down pipe, to remove any ground clearance issues. And it's actually pretty incredible how loud it becomes. The only problem is finding a reliable brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    It's not that hard. You just have to get creative with some extra silicon I/C hoses. Zach had an STI intercooler installed which I now have.
    Yes but it's a lot different on the GRs.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    In an 09 it is...the turbo is located/mounted differently and the Intercooler/manifold and such are completely different styles. The WRX is more of the Legacy GT style, where as the STI remains similar to 02-07 WRX/04+ STI style, like your car's layout. So you can do STI intercooler and turbo swaps all you want in the GDs, but not so much in the GRs.

Very curious to see how OP had that done...

Gr's?

Gr's?
    08+ WRX
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    In an 09 it is...the turbo is located/mounted differently and the Intercooler/manifold and such are completely different styles. The WRX is more of the Legacy GT style, where as the STI remains similar to 02-07 WRX/04+ STI style, like your car's layout. So you can do STI intercooler and turbo swaps all you want in the GDs, but not so much in the GRs.

Very curious to see how OP had that done...
    All the OP needs is the STi intake manifold. The question now is, WHY?!! The VF52 has similar potential to the VF48 and for the price of the STi intake manifold, the OP could have a much better TMIC. Pretty ridiculous modification IMO.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.