Electric exhaust cutouts? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Electric exhaust cutouts? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Better boost control, faster response.. power gains will be highly dependent on the size of the turbo and the tune. ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Better boost control, faster response.. power gains will be highly dependent on the size of the turbo and the tune. Generally the larger the turbo the more gains that can be had by going EWG, but even with a smallish turbo there will be some gains to be had.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So if I go with the ewg now, when I switch to a larger turbo later is it pretty much plug n play minus tuning?

Depends on the turbo fitment.. if you want to stay with a stock location turbo then the uppipe, EWG, and downpipe would still work (obviously you would need a new fuel pump, injectors, and a tune at the very least).

If you decide you want to install a rotated turbo kit then all of your stock location stuff would have to be replaced. It's something to think about.. if I had gone rotated in the first place I would have saved probably $1000 in parts I can no longer use with my new turbo.

What do you recommend for turned up turbos? How big can I go before I need to start building my engine?

I wouldn't go too big without building it. You could probably get away with a GTX3071 on a really conservative tune for a decent amount of time, but then again for that size turbo the advantage of going rotated isn't that much. If that's the biggest you were going to run I would just get a stock location Dom 2.5-XTR.

From what I could tell the Dom 2.5 xtr only runs on up to an 07wrx?

Quote Originally Posted by B.man View Post
    From what I could tell the Dom 2.5 xtr only runs on up to an 07wrx?

You can use it on the 08+ WRX and LGT platform, you just have to use the 02-07/STi style intercooler and inlet, which are both things you should upgrade anyways when doing a turbo swap.

Would it be worth getting the ewg now and tune to that? Or wait till I eventually upgrade turbo and do it then.

You could get it now, and it would have some performance benefit (mostly noise).. but it would be cheaper in the long run to wait and do it all at once so you're not having to pay for multiple tunes.

For what it's worth, I would run an EWG with hybrid boost control for the best/safest performance. You can run an EWG on a 3-port and it will work well, but it sounds kinda sickly because the 3-port will cause the wastegate to open and close rapidly under full boost.

Who do you recommend for ewg?

Tial is pretty much the go to brand for wastegates.. as far as uppipes, I have the P&L 44mm v-band EWG uppipe and the quality is great. Grimmspeed also makes a good uppipe.

Are the ewg fairly easy to install? Or is it something I should have done? Minus the tune.

Not really any harder than just doing the uppipe by itself.

Now will I need to swap anything to get the setup you said to fit? Or should it pop right in?

The P&L uppipe and dump tube with the appropriate EWG should fit right in.. but I would also consider getting a 3-port and MBC for hybrid boost control to go with it. It would probably be a good idea to speak with your tuner about their familiarity with EWGs and hybrid boost control and get their opinions before purchasing parts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast