Question regarding a COBB SF intake!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question regarding a COBB SF intake! within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; So, I see that the Intake is 5. This isn't bad and I'd save up a week or so and ...

So, I see that the Intake is $195. This isn't bad and I'd save up a week or so and be able to buy it for myself, but my question is, do I need the COBB air box? or will it fit in the OEM airbox? HELP PLEASE!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    So, I see that the Intake is $195. This isn't bad and I'd save up a week or so and be able to buy it for myself, but my question is, do I need the COBB air box? or will it fit in the OEM airbox? HELP PLEASE!
    It won't fit in the stock airbox, thus the reason Cobb made their own...

If you want the intake to draw in the same air as the stock box, buy the airbox. If you're fine with it drawing in the hot ambient engine air (which your stock airbox does NOT do), then don't buy the Cobb box.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

on hotter temps the airbox helps. no oem wont fit

I Support ClubWRX
    IAT sensor is located in the MAF. There are timing compensations for IAT. A SRI can cause you to be pulling massive amounts of timing. Do you want a nice downgrade for your money? If not, buy the airbox or go with an AEM unit.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    You definitely need the airbox otherwise, as others have said, you are wasting your money. Also, be advised that this intake is very LOUD. There are some YouTube videos out there that you can check out if you want to get an idea what it will sound like.

I personally love the sound but I know others have regretted putting it on after driving with it for a while. Just my .02.

While we're talking about this.... does anybody know how GOOD the Cobb box actually is? I'll search around too, but I was just wondering if it does reduce the IAT's. Is it as good or better at that than the stock one? I've heard (no support) that the area the SRI sits in doesn't get all that much hot engine air and it isn't so bad. I have one with a box, but haven't put it on yet because of this... and the need for calibrating.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Axex
    While we're talking about this.... does anybody know how GOOD the Cobb box actually is? I'll search around too, but I was just wondering if it does reduce the IAT's. Is it as good or better at that than the stock one? I've heard (no support) that the area the SRI sits in doesn't get all that much hot engine air and it isn't so bad. I have one with a box, but haven't put it on yet because of this... and the need for calibrating.
    I have not seen back-to-back IAT readings of airbox vs exposed filter.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I didnt plan on going with an exposed filter! I was just confused because I figured it would fit in the OEM airbox just because they sell them separate, it would make sense to sell them as one single unit if you need both.
    thanks for the help tho guys

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.