07' STi Motor swapped into an 04' WRX

This is a discussion on 07' STi Motor swapped into an 04' WRX within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I've been searching on here for some threads about this specifically but haven't found one yet. I'm still learning a ...

06' STi Motor swapped into an 04' WRX

I've been searching on here for some threads about this specifically but haven't found one yet. I'm still learning a little on how to navigate and search forums efficiently. Here's my situation. I am about to purchase a 2004 WRX tomorrow. This 2004 WRX has an 06' STi motor in it. Is this a safe and common swap to be made with these? The idea sounds amazing but I don't want to find myself in a crappy situation with a car loaded with issues. Here is the link to the car I am buying. 2004 Subaru WRX/STI Thank you fellas! - Troy
    Last edited by tsalazarma; 11-01-2012 at 09:24 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    A car with that many miles and a swap without any details, I'd walk... nay, run far far away. Judging from the intake manifold, the "swap" is a hybrid build with a 2.5L block. It's possible that the heads are also borrowed from an 06 STi, but dealing with the AVCS is a PITA. This car is exceptionally overpriced. I'd look elsewhere.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Damn, what a bummer...I spoke to him for a while and he seemed very confident in the condition of the vehicle and how well it runs. I'm not disagreeing with you but I am pretty bummed about it. He told me the STi engine in it is just over 50,000 miles. He said he has all paperwork to show the work done to the car. I wish I knew more about this all. I used to be really into DSM's for fun but now I want a serious performing AWD car that I can easily rely on. When you say it is exceptionally overpriced, what would you honestly say it should be worth?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by tsalazarma View Post
    Damn, what a bummer...I spoke to him for a while and he seemed very confident in the condition of the vehicle and how well it runs. I'm not disagreeing with you but I am pretty bummed about it. He told me the STi engine in it is just over 50,000 miles. He said he has all paperwork to show the work done to the car. I wish I knew more about this all. I used to be really into DSM's for fun but now I want a serious performing AWD car that I can easily rely on. When you say it is exceptionally overpriced, what would you honestly say it should be worth?
    If the seller is so confident, why is he selling the car after only putting 3K miles on it? The motor is likely not a full STi longblock. Hybrid builds use the 2L heads/manifold and the 2.5L block/pistons/crank/rods. Some 2.5L hybrid builds are reliable and will last for some time to come. Others will fail very quickly. It really depends on the builder, the aggressiveness of the tune, and the owner. The truth is that this is a mystery to you, as the buyer... and that's not something on which I would personally gamble. FYR, the price is listed at $11k. I'm sure there is some haggle room, but keep in mind that KBB lists a 2004 WRX (in "good" condition) with 116K miles at $9300. With the modifications on the car, it is likely worth about 15-20% less than a stock 2004 WRX as listed by KBB. Personally, if you are seeking a project car, I would suggest offering no more than $7500 for the vehicle. If you are seeking a DD, don't bother.

Facebook me here

Ok, wow. I really appreciate your advice on this. You may have single handedly saved me some serious money and headaches. I am actually not looking for a project but a daily driver. I want a Subaru with the 2.5 turbo platform but I'm relatively open to the model. Really though, I'd be ok with a WRX. Truth is, I've been out of a car for a week so I'm getting pretty crunched for time. Hmm....decisions decisions.

zax
    Also, the guy put an HKS BOV on it... widely regarded as a "piece of crap" and highly unnecessary by the community

Facebook me here

zax
    Ok, wow. I really appreciate your advice on this. You may have single handedly saved me some serious money and headaches. I am actually not looking for a project but a daily driver. I want a Subaru with the 2.5 turbo platform but I'm relatively open to the model. Really though, I'd be ok with a WRX. Truth is, I've been out of a car for a week so I'm getting pretty crunched for time. Hmm....decisions decisions.
    What is your budget?

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    What is your budget?
    My budget is $10,000.

zax
    My budget is $10,000.
    OK, I would suggest to look for a 2L WRX with that Budget. Any of the later 2.5L WRXs that are < $10K will not be worth your time.

Facebook me here

Thing looks pretty beat up...I'd walk away as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying