PLEASE HELP.....swap????
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on PLEASE HELP.....swap???? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hello everyone, I am new to the forum so please forgive if this thread has been cover a million times. ...

Question PLEASE HELP.....swap????

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum so please forgive if this thread has been cover a million times. There is a 02 WRX Wagon that is close to my house for a pretty good price. The one problem I spoke with the guy and he told me it has a rod knock which I know is a killer for any engine. I would consider myself able around the garage and handy with anything. I have done some research and found used WRX 2.0 motors for a mere 1500 bucks. Is what I am seeking is some light, would it be practical to purchase the Wagon and replace the motor, also would it be possible to do in a 2 car garage, time, major tools, etc.... Any input would be great guys, thanks for everything.
    Respectfully,
    A Hopefully soon to be SUBI owner

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Do the math and see what that gets you. If your motor had failed and you were looking to get the car on the road that'd be one thing. But it's not your motor and it's not your car, and you are probably going to be able to find a car with a motor that works for the same money plus less hassle than that wagon + motor used + your time and effort.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

what year??, b/c im doing the same but im rebuilding, but i have a 03 forester and it's still worth 8grand kbb, and that's why its worth rebuilding for me...if its an older model like 90's then yeah you can find a running one for 1500...but the only issue you would run into is emission b/c jdm engines are cheaper but doesn't come with emission components but you can get that off the broken motor, such as egr and egr sensors and vacuum sensors and those sorta things...i might do a swap myself b/c adding up everything, i'll only be saving 2 to 300 bucks only...but that's if everything goes right
    Honda is my wife, subaru is my mistress

i am looking at an 02 wagon, everything is perfect but the motor. i am looking to pick it up for around 4 with the bum motor. so right now replacing it is looking good, as far as price goes. i am pretty sure that i can do the swap myself, havent done a subi personally but i dont think that it would be much different from any other swap right

it's pretty simple, same as any other swap, not like a v6 fwd(i hate them)
    Honda is my wife, subaru is my mistress

Do it. I just did my 02 swap. Pretty easy stuff and fun.

Daisy, how long did it take you to complete?

My New Project

That's my sorta build thread. It took me way longer than it'll take you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.