upgrade fuel system

This is a discussion on upgrade fuel system within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; So i just got an email from my friend mike at innovativetuning.com (which is an amazing tuner shop in western ...

upgrade fuel system

So i just got an email from my friend mike at innovativetuning.com (which is an amazing tuner shop in western NY for subarus) and he told me that with my down pipe and my exhaust and cobb stage 2 tune on my car that i am pretty much maxing out the stock fuel system. and that before i put my headers on i should upgrade the fuel system. I didnt think that was necessary at this point but he is the expert. I emailed him back but havent heard yet so i thought i would ask here. do i need to upgrade just the injectors or the entire fuel delivery system (pump, lines, injectors etc) or is the stock one good enough?

james

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

on a 2011??? Hmm...I guess with the VF52 turbo you could be considering how well it flows. I thought the injectors were ok at 550ccs, but I'm not sure.

If you plan on going bigger in the future, may as well do something bigger. If you do injectors, you'll have to do the fuel pump too.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

i to thought that the stock ones would be good enough, i mean i havent really done any major upgrades. basically i am just getting more more out of the engine. i havent done a cam or pistons or turbo or anything like that, but im just going by what my guy says. like i said he does wild things to subarus so im thinking he knows what he is do. any idea what i size i will have to go to?

I Support ClubWRX
    Mike is a phenomenal tuner. I haven't made the trip out to Buffalo to have him tune my car, but I've ridden in quite a few of "his" cars. He just tuned a 900+whp Supra for a buddy living in AZ.

Any StageII tune on a VFXX turbo will pretty much max the fuel system out.

To really net gains from the extra modifications, you should upgrade your pump/injectors. Look at the DW300 pump and ID1000 injectors. The injectors are a bit "overkill" for your turbo, but you'll spend nearly that on 650s (which would be sufficient for the VFXX on pump gas), and you'll have headroom for the future.

While you're there, I'd buy an aftermarket TMIC like the PW unit and an aftermarket BPV like the Forge. The OE units aren't the quality of previous MYs. Ask Mike what he thinks of a BCS/MBC (or both) at your level, as well.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Sure id love to do all that stuff but thats a whole lotta cash to spend. I had no idea that headers would require so much more mod to work properly. I guess I just assumed it would be a straight bolt on like my fathers where for his camaro. He has all the same mods I have on my wrx and no fuel upgrades where needed. But bigger injectors and a new pump with gas at $4.40 a gallon. This is all starting g to get really expensive. Not to mention what my mpg will drop to. Maybe she's fast enough and I'll just skip the headers

That's where it's different...when you're playing with a turbo and increasing air flow, you have to compensate for fuel otherwise you will run lean and blow up an engine. That's why so many people are so adamant about tuning after any major (and sometimes minor) upgrade...the smallest of changes could have potential to mess something up unless considered in the mapping.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying