up pipe

This is a discussion on up pipe within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; so i am ordering my headers (as soon as they become available) but they use the stock up pipe. So ...

up pipe

so i am ordering my headers (as soon as they become available) but they use the stock up pipe. So my question is, is it really worth getting an aftermarket high flow up pipe? is the difference really that noticeable? I have heard that all they really do is allow the turbo to spool up 200 rpm's quicker. so let me know if you think its worth it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have an older wrx like 05 and below , then yes it's worth it . The cats in the up pipe have been known to break apart and destroy the turbo. So save yourself the head ache of a possible turbo getting destroyed and get the up pipe. Can't do any harm . If you have an 06 wrx+ then u won't need the up pipe but from what I read on your thread I'm gonna guess u don't .

i have a 2011 wrx. so was there a design change or something in the 06 and newer up pipes?

The 06+ don't had the cats in them the 05 and below have cats in them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Which headers are you going with?

The gains aren't there on the 2.5L (like on the 2.0L), but they are there. If you're going to be getting a custom tune (which, you should with the headers), then do the uppipe as well while you're there. You should see some better spool, and a bit more power. If you're unsure of a brand, Grimmspeed makes a nice one that isn't too expensive:
    GrimmSpeed Uppipe Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2012 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

Quote Originally Posted by foxhound
    i have a 2011 wrx. so was there a design change or something in the 06 and newer up pipes?
    The 2.5L Impreza comes with a catless pipe from the factory.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+1 For the Grimmspeed. Actually just installed it today. Fits like a charm, i got it ceramic thermal coated as well. Buy their gaskets as well, i liked the quality of them over the ones that came with my DP i put in today.

Another vote for grimmspeed if you don't want to spend a lot. They were in the running for me, but I decided to go with killer bee. I recommend them if you can afford it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz
    +1 For the Grimmspeed. Actually just installed it today. Fits like a charm, i got it ceramic thermal coated as well. Buy their gaskets as well, i liked the quality of them over the ones that came with my DP i put in today.
    OE gaskets here. A bit cheaper, and are perfectly sufficient.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC