DIY Turbo removal and install 02-05 wrx
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on DIY Turbo removal and install 02-05 wrx within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; well i searched and searched and couldnt find anything descriptive so here it goes (first diy tutorial btw) well i ...

DIY Turbo removal and install 02-05 wrx

well i searched and searched and couldnt find anything descriptive so here it goes (first diy tutorial btw)

well i had to replace my turbo due to a blown internal gasket... real bad!
    i picked up a good used one and just went for it.

YOU WILL NEED
    -10mm shallow
    -12mm
    -14mm
    -Assorted ratchets, extensions, and a swivel joint helps alot
    -17mm combo wrench
    -Assorted flat heads, long ones help
    -A curved pick (helped me)
    -Long 45 deg needle nose
    -Silicone spray
    -1 gallon of SUBARU coolant (expensive but worth it)

I might be forgetting something....

I will start by saying if you were thinking of replacing your turbo inlet DO IT NOW, if not consider it, the rubber is old and most likely dry rotted and will not hold up on the install.
    And make the call to subaru or have access to an assortment of new bolts and nuts TRUST ME i think they were like 10x1.25x30 or 35 (I think it was 5 bolts and 2 nuts), and washers for the coolant and oil banjo bolts you are 90% likely to lose atleast 1 of them.

-Start by removing the downpipe (both ends) and oe shields if you have them.
    -Remove the clamps off the turbo inlet and intercooler pipe, the vacuum lines from the actuator, and the coolant line from the upper coolant tank to the turbo
    -Remove the oil feed banjo bolt directly on top (14mm)(watch there are 2 washers)
    -There is a mount bracket on the passenger/right side on the turbo (10mm)
    -Move the the left side of the turbo(driver) and remove the coolant feed lines (17mm) again 2 washers on each and YOU WILL MAKE A BIG MESS
    -After that remove the uppipe and turbo bracket bolts and studs (14mm) and dont worry the bracket studs may come all the way out they will go back in with ease
    -Last there is an oil return line under the turbo, its a little hard to get to so prep for frustration. When you remove it try and get the full hose to come off with it, make a little easier to install, and the clamps are little finger clamps so they come off "easy"
    -And to make your life a little easier unbolt the intercooler so it is lose
    -BE CAREFUL OF THE OIL LINE IT DOES NOT BEND FAR

INSTALL
    -With return line attached gently maneuver it in, you may not get the hose guide in but thats ok, there is a small opening between the uppipe and block you can "persuade" it through
    -Now for the worst part guide the oil return hose onto the lower pipe, there is no easy way to do it except lube it up and patients
    -Once that is on attach the uppipe bolts and studs so you dont knock off that oil line like i did....twice
    -next its up to you i went for the coolant and oil feed lines, once again be careful with the oil line, it may not go under the actuator nicely and the coolant line may get stuck under the turbo but you can pull it out if it gets stuck
    -Then attach the inlet hose try not to tear it if you didnt go for a new one
    -Then comes the intercooler line, a little tough but with the intercooler lose it is a little easier, not much though.
    -Mount up your downpipe and you are pretty much done

STARTUP
    -prime the turbo by removing the ignition fuse from under the dash and give it a few cranks.
    -replace and let it run for a bit and check for leaks
    -now because you lost alot of coolant you will need to replace it, remove the upper coolant cap and use a spill free funnel if you have one, run it until no more bubbles come out
    -and check your oil level, i didnt lose much from the install but it was low

After all of that fun fill 2+ hours hose out your engine bay and under carriage

Sorry for the long winded directions but i hope you find this to some level of help, and feel free to add or correct me, its been a long day so i may have forgotten some things

-02bugg

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What parts, like gaskets and bolts did you have to replace if any?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.