EJ20 Honing - Grit and Hone Diameter
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on EJ20 Honing - Grit and Hone Diameter within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I'm planning to hone my EJ20g block for v5 207 forged pistons and new rings. There are also some light ...

EJ20 Honing - What Grit?

I'm planning to hone my EJ20g block for v5 207 forged pistons and new rings. There are also some light scratches I'd like to see disappear as well, nothing major.

What grit should I use for the initial hone and for a final hone to achieve the proper arithmetic average (Ra) for my rings/pistons? I'm planning to use a flex hone. According to their website, 320 grit gets an Ra of 18-30 and 240 gets 24-32.

Thanks!
    Last edited by v5 RA Ltd; 08-27-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: found one answer
    If you're not the strongest, be the toughest. If you're not the biggest, be the fastest. If you're not the most loved, be the most feared.

Black Diamond Pearl, JDM Version 5 STi Type RA Limited swapped USDM 1999 2.5RS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Why not just do a 2.5 hybrid? You'd have an extra 500cc's of bore n' stroke plus it would be more reliable if done right...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

buy me one and I will. PLEASE NO MORE 2.5 SWAP SUGGESTIONS!

I don't mean to sound like a *ick but if I wanted to know whether I should get a 2.0 block or a 2.5, I would have made a thread with a poll asking so. I'm more then halfway through my rebuild and theres no turning back or starting over with a 2.5 block.
    Last edited by v5 RA Ltd; 08-27-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    If you're not the strongest, be the toughest. If you're not the biggest, be the fastest. If you're not the most loved, be the most feared.

Black Diamond Pearl, JDM Version 5 STi Type RA Limited swapped USDM 1999 2.5RS

Durring my engine failure I was considering rebuilding my block, but with all the added cost of rebuilding it and parts it was cheaper to just buy a new shortblock and resell my old one...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.