DIY: Removing the Intake Silencer
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on DIY: Removing the Intake Silencer within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; ...

DIY: Removing the Intake Silencer

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

are there any CEL's and possible drawbacks associated with removing this silencer?

No CEL's, the silencer is located before the MAF sensor, and before the air filter. You will get the same amount of air needed, and it's argued that you get cooler air since it draws air from the wheel liner. The only drawback to this mod is the air filter will get dirtier quicker. But not enough for it to be a huge bother.

If you like a louder Turbo spool at high RPM, then this mod is good. If you like a quiet commuter, then don't. Also, a owner of a WRX, with stock WRX turbo did this mod after seeing the video. He commented that even the WRX turbo spool gets a lot louder as well.

I wonder if there is a way to patch the hole...hmm...thanks a lot man....i think im gunna do this mod when i have the rex on jacks to change the oil....i'll let you know how it goes.

Cool! Yeah there are ways to patch the hole. You can either tape it, or ppl have been using fiber glass. However, be warned, you'll have to poke a hole after filling the hole anyways. The hole is used to keep water from pooling up and sucked up. When you remove the silencer, u will see a hole at the bottom of the silencer as well. I just left it open, it's fine, no problems =)

Hey man...just did the delete today. U made it look like it can be done in 5 minutes...took me about an hour lol. i'm new to car tuning and didnt have all of the tools at hand...just wanted to say thanks for the help with my first mod.

Hahahaha, yeah, that's the thing about videos, I can't show it in real time, you guys will be bored to death. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour as well. So if this is your first time modding, you did it in an amazing quick time lol.

Well? How does it sound? You notice a difference? =O

yeah definitely hear the turbo spool a bit louder...however i still cant hear my bypass valve...idk if this is normal...and good to know that i'm up to speed with others...maybe i can do an up pipe install after all! lol...hmm a lot of planing to do

Hmm... do you drive an STI? or WRX? If you don't hear it, i'm assuming you are driving a WRX, or you aren't pushing the STI hard enough =p. On the STI, it's very apparent when you shift at 3-4k RPM, from first to fourth gear. =P

a stock rex man....sti is in my future tho...cant wait!

Awesome! WRX are pretty beast in their own right though =p. If you have a youtube account, please subscribe to my channel! =D Thanks, and have fun with your mod!

Will do man...thanks

hi thats a great video. i was wondering if the same mod can be made to my 1999 wrx? i only had the car 2 weeks and before it did have a hks induction kit, but since putting the standard box but on theres no chattering. will deleting the resonator make the chattering again? The reason i taken off the hks is that i heard it can damaged the maf is this true?

thank you

I don't think removing the resonator will cause any chattering... At least, I've never heard of anyone complaining about any chattering. As for the HKS damaging the MAF sensor, I'm not too sure about. I've never heard of an induction kit damaging the MAF sensor. However, if you change your intake, it's most likely that you need a tune to accompany it. For both STi and WRX, it's known that you wouldn't need an intake unless you go with a larger turbo and more boost. Again, I can't say for sure that it damages the MAF sensor, but it's probably better that you went back to the standard intake. =) Hope this helps.

thanks for the reply would doing this with a standard intake makes the turbo spool louder?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.