DIY: Removing the Intake Silencer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on DIY: Removing the Intake Silencer within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; For the STI, I've gotten feedback with 80% saying 'yes' to it being louder. For the WRX, depending on the ...

For the STI, I've gotten feedback with 80% saying 'yes' to it being louder. For the WRX, depending on the turbo, I've gotten feedback with only 50% saying that they notice a difference. For an STI owner, I would recommend doing this mod as something for a relaxing weekend.

If you decide on doing it, you may or may not hear a difference, but just have fun experimenting.

If you DO hear a difference, please let me know. I'd like to add you to my statistics, so I can better inform people in the future =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok thank you. The wrx classic i have is only running a TD04 turbo but i will let you know how it goes

Why not just buy a cai or short ram? You could get better perfomance and hear the turbo better correct?

Quote Originally Posted by TURBOTOM2010 View Post
    Why not just buy a cai or short ram? You could get better perfomance and hear the turbo better correct?

This is on a GD...which the stock intake is not restrictive. It flows as well as or better than most aftermarket solutions, to a certain point (well after Stage 2, with turbo upgrades, etc.). Removing the intake silencer (snorkus) essentially makes it the same as an SRI. Considering the plumbing of the snorkus anyway, it already was technically more of a CAI than most aftermarket pieces anyway.

Dunno about you...but FREE-Fiddy sounds more enticing than spending $200-$300+ on an intake that nets you pretty much zero gains.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by TURBOTOM2010 View Post
    CAI or short ram costs $ and require a tune.. which also costs $. It seems as if this method doesn't require a tune, and is free.

Great video, just bought a 2012 wrx and was wondering if this will void the warranty?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mlozy View Post
    Great video, just bought a 2012 wrx and was wondering if this will void the warranty?
    It would if your car had one,an intake silencer i.e.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12