Turbo Went Out? First STi
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Turbo Went Out? First STi within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Yesterday I purchased my first STi 2004 STi 129,xxx miles and force induction vehicle. I live 105 miles away from ...

Turbo Went Out? First STi

Yesterday I purchased my first STi 2004 STi 129,xxx miles and force induction vehicle. I live 105 miles away from the dealer I bought it from. The Car ran perfect everything was normal and seemed mechanically sound pulled strong and all the works. As I was on my way home down the highway in 6th gear I herd a weird rattle noise come from where I figure the turbo is located. I down shifted and the noise got worse so I pulled over and had a look around the engine compartment tapped on a few things checked the oils looked underneath and saw nothing. Got back in and cranked it up didnt hear the sound I didnt think nothing of it since it went away I drove for a few more min then noticed a significant loss of power and the noise was back but worse so I repeated the process as before when I pulled over. Didnt see anything. Cranked it back up and the noise was still there but I had lost all the boost. I figured I would finish driving home 20 or so miles then mess with it there so I did once I got home I checked over everything and it all seemed normal except the turbo rattling and loss of boost. Looked under it some more in my garage and noticed some coolant was leaking and there was a slight oil leak which I couldnt/didnt pen point yet. I got pissed and let it sit over night. Keep in mind at this point its around midnight. Woke up this morning to go check it out and when I cranked it up white smoke was coming out the exhaust and I had NO boost... what do yall think I should do/replace. Thanks

-Drew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well first thing, make sure that the knocking noise isn't actually coming from the engine itself (like a bearing going).

If Oil is coming out, it could be the seals gone on the turbo itself (in the center section). I know you bought the car used but really you may want to see what the dealer is willing to do for you.

Also note that you have an oil screen filter in the banjo bolt that goes to the turbo on the oil feed line. That screen is known to getting clogged up and starving the turbo of oil and seals / bearings go bad due to it. Its not something most people stay on top of or take out so its something to look into.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

Hey thanks man for the knowledge! I will deffinently save this for later reference. Tomorrow the Dealer is coming to pick up the Car and taking it to the local Subaru shop to get it fixed. They are also bringing me a temporary car to drive till its fixed!

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    No problem
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! www.kronosperformance.com sales@kronosperformance.com Call/Text 732-742-8837 We Offer a Military Discount
    Our Facebook | Our Twitter | Our Instagram | Our Pinterest
    Our featured brands
    RALLY ARMOR | BC RACING | PERRIN | MISHIMOTO | GRIMMSPEED

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.