Exhaust & your warranty
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Exhaust & your warranty within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; This is the reply I got from SOA when I asked them if installing an SPT exhaust myself would affect ...

I Support ClubWRX

Exhaust & your warranty

This is the reply I got from SOA when I asked them if installing an SPT exhaust myself would affect my warranty

Dear XXX:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I hope that you are enjoying your 2011 WRX, XXX.

Installing genuine Subaru parts designed and offered for your 2011 WRX will not void your warranty. Some SPT parts are sold "as is" without any warranty coverage and others only have a limited parts warranty.

The SPT exhaust, part number D441SFG400, is new for the 2011 WRX 5-door models. This is the only SPT exhaust that we would recommend for your vehicle. If you were to install an SPT exhaust not designed for your specific WRX and any problems arise, the warranties on your vehicle would not cover the repairs. The same would be if you were to install the SPT exhaust yourself and any problems arose caused by improper installation.
    Thank you for the opportunity to be of service. If you need any future assistance, please let us know. Have a great weekend, xxx.

Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
    Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like a reasonable response, exactly what I would have expected
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

yeah im not surprised by this. all it really says is "sure you can do it yourself, but we will use that against you later on..."
    STINKEYE MOB #100

If your just installing an exhaust, I know it wouldnt void your warranty. How could an aftermarket exhaust literally cause damage to your car?? Unless proven by them, I dont see how it would be possible unless not tightening down bolts correctly and the exhaust comes flying off damaging other parts of your car. I love how dealers and them try to stick with their own manufactured parts stating warranty is still good. Its just a way they can get $$ on the side. No exhaust will void warranty unless you installed like a 7" straightback exhaust on a stock motor lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexfiend View Post
    If your just installing an exhaust, I know it wouldnt void your warranty. How could an aftermarket exhaust literally cause damage to your car?? Unless proven by them, I dont see how it would be possible unless not tightening down bolts correctly and the exhaust comes flying off damaging other parts of your car. I love how dealers and them try to stick with their own manufactured parts stating warranty is still good. Its just a way they can get $$ on the side. No exhaust will void warranty unless you installed like a 7" straightback exhaust on a stock motor lol
    OK let's run through this scenario and see what could happen; I'll be the guy with the modded exhaust:

Me: I have a warranty claim.
    Dealer: Your exhaust is modded. Go pound sand.
    Me: But the Magnusson-Moss Act and this and that and the other protects me because SEMA said so, and this and that and the other.
    Dealer: Go pound sand.
    Me: But you have to prove it's the part, you can't void my warranty, you can't this or that or the other.
    Dealer: [Well, you can guess at this point...]

So now what? I sue them? I complain to the BBB? To the United Nations? To whom?

Who is going to fix my car in this scenario, and when?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^ +1 and by exhaust we need to stick with just the axleback if we want to have a conversation about anything to do with warranties.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by Rexfiend View Post
    First of all it doesnt "void" your warranty, all SOA and your dealership can do is deny your claims. Second of all, if you even touch your car the wrong way and they know about it they can also deny a claim. When i bought an SPT exhaust for my WRX i asked if i could just install it myself and save myself the labor fee because i wanted to put that hundred dollars toward something else and i was told that would cause warranty problems if something went awry. This is just my dealership though, i obviously cannot speak for every dealership in america because some will be more lenient than mine.
    STINKEYE MOB #100

I Support ClubWRX
    Since starting this thread I have wised up ,& gone & got me an axleback.I am so glad I didn't get that SPT I was looking at.Now in the rarest of the rare likelihood of something happening I can just throw on the old exhaust & take it to the dealer.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickfromnm View Post
    First of all it doesnt "void" your warranty, all SOA and your dealership can do is deny your claims.
    How do these two outcomes differ? It seems the car remains broken in both cases.

The SPT stuff carries a written warranty (the only kind that matters) and that mentions installation I believe.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post

The SPT stuff carries a written warranty (the only kind that matters) and that mentions installation I believe.
    Only if it was installed by the dealership though. I guess that is understandable though. Obviously Subaru trusts their techs over random Joe Consumer working in the back yard.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    How do these two outcomes differ? It seems the car remains broken in both cases.
    A voided warranty would imply that the contractual agreement between owner/SoA is no longer in place.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    This is the reply I got from SOA when I asked them if installing an SPT exhaust myself would affect my warranty

Dear XXX:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I hope that you are enjoying your 2011 WRX, XXX.
    So did you take over for Vin Diesel and Ice Cube? Somehow I don't see a Subaru as a secret agent car.....
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Am I missing something? As long as you "follow the instructions", what could possibly go wrong? (I'm embellishing a smidgen.) But seriously, isn't it just a few bolts, gaskets, and hangers?

And to Rage, why even bother with an axle-back at all?
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    Am I missing something? As long as you "follow the instructions", what could possibly go wrong? (I'm embellishing a smidgen.) But seriously, isn't it just a few bolts, gaskets, and hangers?
    I think people are talking about worst-case scenario, but I'm with you. There's really nothing that can go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AmateurX View Post
    And to Rage, why even bother with an axle-back at all?
    Sound, sound and sound. That's why I put an axleback on my STI.
    Scott

I'm debating whether or not to get an extended warranty for my new WRX arriving next week, and convos like this worry me since I'm considering getting a non-SPT exhaust installed by someone other than a Subaru dealership (Nameless Performance cat-back installed by my trusty mechanic down the street).

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast