what is the best way to loosen an O2 sensor?

This is a discussion on what is the best way to loosen an O2 sensor? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hey guys, I'm trying to loosen the O2 sensor on my 04 montero and I can't get it off... I've ...

what is the best way to loosen an O2 sensor?

Hey guys, I'm trying to loosen the O2 sensor on my 04 montero and I can't get it off...
    I've tried spraying WD40 on it and it still won't budge...
    Any tips would be greatly accepted...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Use a penetrant like PB Blaster. Use lots of it. Then use more. Then use heat as well, but be careful, apply it indirectly.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah I sprayed a bunch of that on there and tried torquing it off with a cresent wrench and it won't budge...
    I'm gonna try heating it up tommarow but kinda nervous cause its right next to the gas line on a weird angel...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

PB blaster then let it sit.
    Then use a longer crescent wrench. The longer the better. Maybe try a cheater bar.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are specialty wrenches (wrenchii?) often available for rent from either tool supply stores or auto parts stores. They are like a socket for a ratchet, but they are slotted to allow for the cable on the sensor. These will probably give you the most surface area so the best grip and chance of getting the sensor off.

See if you can find one. Use it on your largest breaker bar and do not apply gradual firm pressure; rather, give it a smart series of smacks almost like a slow-motion imaginary air tool. That might work.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Don't use a crescent wrench you are just asking for problems.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR
    There are specialty wrenches (wrenchii?) often available for rent from either tool supply stores or auto parts stores. They are like a socket for a ratchet, but they are slotted to allow for the cable on the sensor. These will probably give you the most surface area so the best grip and chance of getting the sensor off.

See if you can find one. Use it on your largest breaker bar and do not apply gradual firm pressure; rather, give it a smart series of smacks almost like a slow-motion imaginary air tool. That might work.
    My O2 sensor socket cost me $5 from Harbor Freight and has worked fine on about a dozen sensor extractions.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    Don't use a crescent wrench you are just asking for problems.
    Exactly. Use the correct tools, and the job will be easy. If you're changing the sensor, simply cut off the wire at the top and use a deep socket with a breaker bar. If you are re-using the sensor, purchase an o2 sensor socket and use a breaker bar. An o2 sensor socket has a window cut in the side to fish the wire through. A crescent wrench will only round off the sensor. When re-installing the sensor, or a new sensor, put a film of anti-seize on the threads for easier removal next time.

Allright cool....
    Thanks guys, ill go back to the parts store and see what they have... I was under it last night and twisted it so hard that it slipped and I hit the back of my head on the brake assembly (I had 1 hell of a headache)..lol
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Bump

Anyone else got any helpful advice?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

got mine off with about 1/4 can of PB a 22 mm (i think) wrench and a soft mallet. Just keep smackin the wrench until the sensor breaks free. Hit it hard and I mean HARD!!! it will come off eventually. And if it doesn't more PB Blaster!
    07 WRX STi Stock - my new baby
    02 WRX 225 hp 222 tq - Not at Fault Accident TOTALED

Update....
    I went to checker and got an O2 sensor socket and finally got that ***** off...
    For some ****ing reason they put the gas lines right in front of it so I had to crank it at all sorts of weird angles...
    Well anyways thank you guys for all your help it saved me hours of knuckle busting fun...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801