Need Help/Advice Removing Boost Controller

This is a discussion on Need Help/Advice Removing Boost Controller within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hey everyone, I just bought an 03 WRX and found that in it was installed a GReddy Profec BSpec-2 Boost ...

Need Help/Advice Removing Boost Controller

Hey everyone,

I just bought an 03 WRX and found that in it was installed a GReddy Profec BSpec-2 Boost Controller (I think?). I'd like to remove (and maybe even sell) it - can anyone give me any help or advice on what to do?

Has the engine been modified during the installation of this device? Will I do damage or will the engine be inoperable if I remove it? Am I better off just leaving it connected and not using it? Can I do this myself or do I need a professional to do it?

To whoever can help, thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

same issue

I need help taking mine off too, i have a 03 ej20, i rather put it back on when i take it to get it tunned but for now i could use some help putting the stock one back one, thanks!

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm just going to quote Donkey because he just posted all the pertinent information today. This is how to set the stock system back up - you absolutely need the restrictor pill. Assuming your running a stock tune or any regular tune it will be fine to take it off. If you are running a protuned map that had the MBC incorporated then leave it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    You absolutely have to reuse the factory turbo lines or make sure you remove the pill and replace it in the new lines.

"The factory boost control system bleeds pressure away from the wastegate actuator to the intake or turbo inlet pipe. With this device set at 0% wastegate
    duty cycle through the ECM calibration, all of the air pressure generated at the compressor housing will be applied to the wastegate actuator forcing the
    wastegate valve to fully open. When the wastegate actuator is fully open, the vehicle will run mechanical boost pressure which can be anything from 7-
    11psi on original equipment manufacturer (OEM) turbochargers. When this device is programmed to 100% wastegate duty cycle through the ECM
    calibration, all of the air pressure generated at the compressor housing will be allowed to by-pass to the wastegate actuator allowing the wastegate valve to
    close. The flow is limited by the size of the hole in the restrictor pill located in the first vacuum line attached to the turbo compressor housing. "

"The middle of this restrictor pill has a lengthwise hole precisely machined to a certain
    specification so that it works with the factory wastegate actuator and the wastegate duty cycle settings in the stock ECU. The size of this center hole can be
    changed in order to mechanically assist boost control.
    A smaller diameter hole in the center of the brass restrictor pill will have a higher tendency to create boost spike in the system and require less wastegate
    duty cycle to run higher boost. The larger the diameter hole in the center of the restrictor pill, the less chance the boost control system will boost spike and
    greater wastegate duty cycle will need to run in order to produce higher boost. If you have a stock turbo and are running an AccessPORT map, you have no
    reason to modify your restrictor pill. If you have installed a new turbocharger and you are using the stock boost control system to tune boost, please verify
    that the vacuum line coming off the turbo compressor housing (prior to the T-fitting) contains a restrictor pill with a hole machined in the center of the pill
    ."

Last edited by mycologist; 12-13-2009 at 10:21 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

where

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    i'm just going to quote donkey because he just posted all the pertinent information today. This is how to set the stock system back up - you absolutely need the restrictor pill. Assuming your running a stock tune or any regular tune it will be fine to take it off. If you are running a protuned map that had the mbc incorporated then leave it on.
    thanks that really helped! Now one more question, where can i buy cheap oem parts???

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spatwinturbo View Post
    thanks that really helped! Now one more question, where can i buy cheap oem parts???
    https://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/index.php

For that stuff I would just go to the dealer though.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Luckly there is a guy parting out his wrx in my area but thanks for the help!