STi Stage 2 is done! - install notes, performance, etc

This is a discussion on STi Stage 2 is done! - install notes, performance, etc within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I've had the Cobb TBE sitting in my basement for almost 2 months now and I got fooled into installing ...

STi Stage 2 is done! - install notes, performance, etc

I've had the Cobb TBE sitting in my basement for almost 2 months now and I got fooled into installing it yesterday since the weather was great at lunchtime. Then it started to pour and I got drenched. Lots of fun. Here's some notes about the install and performance. A lot of these things I've seen elsewhere one at a time, so I'm just consolidating everything I know.

Install tips
    1. Get a friend to help. It can be done by yourself, but double the install time. Took me about 4-5 hours mostly because of stuck bolts.
    2. Use penetrating oil on all bolts and tap them to loosen them. You will still shear some bolts if your car has any significant miles on it. The good news is that I didn't have to re-use any of the holes where I sheared a bolt (4-5 of them).
    3. Get new spring bolts for the midpipe because unless your car is pretty new, they will shear. (I forgot and had to fab up some replacements, but thankfully I have a sizeable shop and the tools and parts to do it).
    4. Put together the midpipe and axleback of your new exhaust before you put them on the car. Much easier.
    5. Get ramps or a high lift jack. I have a normal lift jack (15") and the car was barely high enough to work on once I put it on the jack stands. This really goes for working on cars in general. Invest in a high lift jack (20") and you'll be much happier.
    6. Take the intercooler off. I've seen a lot of stuff saying that you don't need to do this, but it only took me 10 minutes to remove it, and another 10 to reinstall it. If your car is pretty new then you can probably get away with leaving it on, but I couldn't get leverage on one of the stock heat shield bolts with any tool I have (and I have a lot of tools) and had to take off the intercooler.

That's all I can think of for now but I'll edit the post if I think of more. I lost one of the DP bolts somewhere along the way, but for now 4 bolts is fine and I ordered another one from the dealer. I also found that my DCCD sensor was broken off at the rear diff. Still works, but I'll be replacing that too.

Performance
    I've heard this before but words can't describe what a huge difference stage 2 makes. I'm still not sure whether stage 1 really made any difference. I know it did, but it was a small enough difference that I could convince myself my mind was playing tricks on me. I had my car at stage 1 for about 2 months and a few thousand miles.

Stage 2 is a huge difference over stage 1. HUGE. ENORMOUS. The car is a whole different animal. I got on an highway onramp today and a truck coming the other way didn't yield like he should have. In 2nd gear at 25 mph I floored it and the car went into a 4 wheel power slide instantly. Holy crap. My car at stage 2 is nothing like the stock car was. I got the exhaust used for $600 which is really good for a catted Cobb TBE. I got the AP v1 for $300 used which is also really good. Add in the gaskets and for a little under $1000 I got to stage 2 with premium components.

Exhaust sound
    I started up the car when I was done with the install and as soon as I walked inside my wife said "Your car doesn't sound good. It's really loud." I would have to agree with her, the Cobb exhaust at idle is pretty loud compared to stock. At higher RPMs though, it's not that much louder than stock and it has a really nice exhaust note. It also exhibits absolutely zero resonance. If you know anything about aftermarket exhausts, you know this is really hard to achieve.

Five thumbs up to Stage 2!
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Congrats!
    i'm jelous.
    I can't wait to get an AP
    ...then when it's gets closer to warranty expiration, i'll get my DP

one thing though,
    HOW THE HELL DO YOU GO ABOUT LIFE KNOWING THERE IS A FULL TBE IN YOUR BASEMENT THAT COULD BE ON YOUR CAR???????????????????
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

Registered User farBeyondDriven's Avatar
    I wish I would have gotten a used STI instead of a new WRX.
    2006 Panty Dropper

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror like his passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by snowflowmfg View Post
    one thing though,
    HOW THE HELL DO YOU GO ABOUT LIFE KNOWING THERE IS A FULL TBE IN YOUR BASEMENT THAT COULD BE ON YOUR CAR???????????????????
    Because I have 2 kids and very little time to myself. And I'm old and didn't feel like freezing my @$$ off so I waited for warmer weather.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Because I have 2 kids and very little time to myself. And I'm old and didn't feel like freezing my @$$ off so I waited for warmer weather.
    I'm just joking around with ya.
    I understand that.

When I got my CBE I stayed up until midnight putting it on. It was sub 20 degrees and snowing and the garage floor was totally wet.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #116
    Dirty Crew #27

I'm just joking around with ya.
    I understand that.
    I know. I forgot to put a smiley.

When I got my CBE I stayed up until midnight putting it on. It was sub 20 degrees and snowing and the garage floor was totally wet.
    If I had a garage it might have gotten on the car sooner.

But now I can say I have a decent amount of experience with stock, stage 1, and stage 2. On that note, I actually did a non-recommended mod on my Porsche because I couldn't find anybody that had actually done it, just a lot of people saying don't do it. It turns out they really didn't know what they're talking about and I advised other people to go the same route and they were very happy with the results. Lesson learned, don't trust people if they don't have direct experience with something.
    Scott

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad that you're happy with the performance.

You really had that big of a problem with shearing bolts? I've done downpipes and uppipes on two different WRX's, and never had a single one. (my current car was 4 years old by the time I got it done) I started soaking the bolts in PBBlaster a couple of days ahead of time, and by the time it came time to do the job, they came right off...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You really had that big of a problem with shearing bolts? I've done downpipes and uppipes on two different WRX's, and never had a single one. (my current car was 4 years old by the time I got it done) I started soaking the bolts in PBBlaster a couple of days ahead of time, and by the time it came time to do the job, they came right off...
    The car was registered on Martha's Vineyard for the first 3 years of its life so there wasn't much strength left in some of the bolts. That salt air will do a number on a car! There was only 1/2 of the bolt's metal that wasn't rusted in the ones I sheared (all heat shield bolts other than the spring bolts). The spring bolts were practically rusted entirely through. One of the rear exhaust hangers was 1/2 the size it originally was. Massive corrosion all around. Thankfully other than the exhaust, there's not much on the car that is really in bad shape. Of course there's lots of things I can't see so who really knows. How long does it take to rust through the housing on a turbo?
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 03-05-2008 at 07:25 PM.
    Scott

congrads on stage 2
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

I Support ClubWRX
    Ah, didn't realize that it saw a lot of salt air. That will make for a big difference.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    this post just made me 80 times more anxious to get to stage 2!

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    Ah, didn't realize that it saw a lot of salt air. That will make for a big difference.
    Even having worked on cars for 15+ years that have spent their lives on the salty roads of the Northeast, I'm surprised how much things were corroded. I didn't look it over that carefully for rust issues when I bought it because I was more concerned with mechanicals and today's cars in general have some pretty serious rust prevention measures so you don't really have to worry about it. I also thought the STi exhaust was better quality stainless, but apparently not. For comparison, the Cobb TBE I put on spent at least a couple years on a WRX in the Northeast and had basically zero corrosion on it. All stainless is not created equal!

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    this post just made me 80 times more anxious to get to stage 2!
    You should be very anxious. You have no idea what a big difference it makes. I hope you've been saving your pennies!
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by farBeyondDriven View Post
    I wish I would have gotten a used STI instead of a new WRX.
    Uhhh?

You can easily make your WRX faster than a STI.
    I have 378hp @ the wheels with less of the diference of the price I would have paid for the STI. And lets no talk about insurance.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
    Uhhh?

You can easily make your WRX faster than a STI.
    I have 378hp @ the wheels with less of the diference of the price I would have paid for the STI. And lets no talk about insurance.

Teflon Jones is actually selling his car right now. You're quite a few months late on this thread.

Welcome to the forums though!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!