New Owner. Have an issue. Help?

This is a discussion on New Owner. Have an issue. Help? within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hello! A proud new owner a 2004 WRX. Problem is the car is already acting up on me. It only ...

New Owner. Have an issue. Help?

Hello! A proud new owner a 2004 WRX. Problem is the car is already acting up on me. It only has 22,000 miles on it. But it's out of warranty. Here's the issue... I feel it most in 2nd gear. Right around 2,500 to 3,500 rpms. As the rpms increase along with the boost there is a skip or a studder. More noticeable from a cold start. It's not turbo lag. It's definitly something different. But I've driven other WRX's without this hicup. I personally thought it was turbo related. Brought it back to the dealer (not a Subaru dealer). They brought it to the local Subaru store. It was diagnosed with a bad clutch. They then brought it to a private repair shop that specializes in Subarus to get the clutch done for about half the price the dealer wanted and this shop said the clutch was fine. No codes. Every thing checked out fine.This private shop said to dump fuel system cleaner in it and drive it hard?? Did that and went through a few tanks of gas. The skip is still there. Anyone seen something similar?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Poking around on this site and forgive me for being new. Let me add the car is 100% bone stock. -Tomikaze

Quote Originally Posted by Tomikaze View Post
    Hello! A proud new owner a 2004 WRX. Problem is the car is already acting up on me. It only has 22,000 miles on it. But it's out of warranty. Here's the issue... I feel it most in 2nd gear. Right around 2,500 to 3,500 rpms. As the rpms increase along with the boost there is a skip or a studder. More noticeable from a cold start. It's not turbo lag. It's definitly something different. But I've driven other WRX's without this hicup. I personally thought it was turbo related. Brought it back to the dealer (not a Subaru dealer). They brought it to the local Subaru store. It was diagnosed with a bad clutch. They then brought it to a private repair shop that specializes in Subarus to get the clutch done for about half the price the dealer wanted and this shop said the clutch was fine. No codes. Every thing checked out fine.This private shop said to dump fuel system cleaner in it and drive it hard?? Did that and went through a few tanks of gas. The skip is still there. Anyone seen something similar?

not uncommon

This is a common problem with many wrx/sti's it seems. I guess im lucky this is not happening to my wrx... not yet anyways...
    ~B~

You 100% sure it's stock? No BOV on it?

Sounds like a bad MAF if it is stock. Buy some electronics cleaner at Radio Shack and try cleaning it. If that doesn't help, you could try replacing it. With no CEL light it's hard to tell exactly what's wrong so I would go the route of swapping off a few things for new parts to see if that fixes it. You can always return the parts if that's not the problem.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Before you buy a new MAF, just ask another WRX owner if you could borrow their MAF for diagnostics. Get em a beer or two.
    2007 OBP WRX TR
    Modless till summer

I Support ClubWRX
    A specialized MAF sensor cleaner:

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...x?PN=05110&S=N

Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 04.SPT.WRX View Post
    bwha! I was JUST about to post the exact same thing!

$5, a phillips screwdriver, and 2 minutes..

Im just curious, tough, that it's 4 yrs old, and 22k miles, but out of warranty?
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post

I clean the MAF sensor at every oil change.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

A specialized MAF sensor cleaner:

Ok is that stuff a joke or a serious product?

"The first product specifically developed to clean mass air flow sensors. Increases horsepower & improves air/fuel ratio and MPG. Plastic safe-dries in seconds!"
    and on the label:
    "PROVEN to gain 4-10 Horsepower at the Wheels!"

Um...... ok......... it's going to give you more HP? Does it have magic pixie dust in it?

All you need is electronics spray cleaner from Radio Shack. Same stuff.

Im just curious, tough, that it's 4 yrs old, and 22k miles, but out of warranty?
    Factory warranty is only good for 3 years. What are you missing?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Ok is that stuff a joke or a serious product?

"The first product specifically developed to clean mass air flow sensors. Increases horsepower & improves air/fuel ratio and MPG. Plastic safe-dries in seconds!"
    and on the label:
    "PROVEN to gain 4-10 Horsepower at the Wheels!"

Um...... ok......... it's going to give you more HP? Does it have magic pixie dust in it?

All you need is electronics spray cleaner from Radio Shack. Same stuff.

Factory warranty is only good for 3 years. What are you missing?
    Lol i read that too and i was like wtf?

and yup warranty is only good for over 3 years if you have the added security
    2004 WRB WRX Stage2+ << SOLD
    2004 PSM STi << FOR SALE
    Blobeye Syndicate # 32
    Dirty Crew # 32
    Quote Originally Posted by RealDealTarheel View Post
    They're usually way too busy popping their BOV's at me anyways. If I put an anti-neon sign on my FMIC I'd really never get to grocery shop in peace.

Just ordered. I'll have it tomorrow. I'll let you guys know what happens.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is the stutter highly noticable as in a sudden plunge in power, or is it a true stutter in that you, the driver, fell it but a passenger may not sense it?

A "stutter" or "hesitation" in the power deliver on boosted Subarus is very common, and can be directly traced to the factory ECU programming. It is not very smooth. My WRX, STi and Legacy GT all did it and the only thing that made it go away was the use of a Cobb AP. Basically, any piggyback or standalone EMS will resolve this, and provide you with a boost in performance as a bonus.

Usueally the MAF getting dirty will increase over time and you would notice a fairly dramatic change in performance, up to and including the inability to start the car.

The only way to check if the ECU is the issue is to data log it. If you have a performance shop nearby, they usually don't charge much to peform this service. Heck, you can even get this done during a dyno run (if the shop has the software and laptop...which if they are good, is no question).

My bet is you are one of the "sensitive" footed individuals who can feel this. I could also, but I've had friends drive my cars and they couldn't. It has been well documented via data logging that this is a known issue, but nothing that would throw a CEL.

The MAF cleaner certainly wont hurt, so give it a shot.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums