Help with turbo install

This is a discussion on Help with turbo install within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Hi, I am in the middle of putting on a new turbo, and need a little help. How can I ...

Help with turbo install

Hi, I am in the middle of putting on a new turbo, and need a little help. How can I reach the oil return hose clamp once the turbo is in place? Someone suggested I use a longer piece of hose, but what type? I have power steering or heater hose to choose from. Otherwise, what is the trick to getting at the squeeze clamp?
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

its been a long time but I seem to remember using a set of long pliers and a re-usable pull-tie.

Edit: and I did it from the bottom.

lThanks. I ended up using a curved hemostat (surgeons "clamp") and locked the spring open while I set the turbo on. So far so good, no leaks. Anyone know if the new TD04s have a larger housing? The one I bought is a little bigger than the one I took out, but I was told its a stock turbo. I wouldnt make any money as a mechanic. Took me all friggin day.
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

td04s should have stayed the same, do you have any pictures for comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
    td04s should have stayed the same, do you have any pictures for comparison?
    +1, if they're not the same size something doesn't sound right...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Well, I looked at it again, and I believe I can just make out td04 engraved on the intake side, but the downpipe side is definitely different. I'm also not hitting above 11 psi, so I'll have to work that out as well. I'll try to get some pics this weekend. I thought the old one was leaking (burning oil from turbo area), and saw a lot of oil around the intake pipe when taking out the turbo, but also I'd never changed the pcv valve. Any way, now theres no leak or stinky smoke, so one or the other was the culprit. Should I replace the pcv tube as well? Or clean it out? Thanks for the replys.
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl

My bad, when I put them next to each other to take the pic, I realized they are the same. Duh.
    '03 WRX Wagon
    Sedona Red Pearl