Subaru WRX Forum banner

STi TMIC on WRX with samco I/C hose

36K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  Wrinklechops 
#1 · (Edited)
Spent an hour installing STI TMIC on WRX today. I will post a picture tomorrow.

If you want to install STI TMIC with missing y-pipe (and use your WRX Samco hose), you will encounter two problems.

1. Brackets will not align (on driver's side)
2. Samco IC hose is about 1" short.

#2 · (Edited)
Solutions:

1. You will have to cut the Samco IC hose to extend the Samco IC hose. Use 1 7/8" OD coupler from Advance auto part to extend the length. I P&P'd the pipe to smooth out the edges.

2. Longer Throttle body hose
Intercooler to TB hose is about 67mm ID (too short @ 2" in length). You can order a 2.75" ID turbo hose (3" in length) from here if you decide to correctly mount both brackets. http://www.stylinmotors.com/turbohose.html

ps: picture shown above has color matching turbo to IC hose. I bought it for $38 shipped from sylinmotors.com

#4 ·
Update: USDM STi air splitter and shroud kit WILL NOT WORK on 02-03 WRX with STi hood scoop. You must get a JDM V7 air splitter kit.

#9 · (Edited)
FYI -

passanger's side bracket mod:

this is for a different intercooler, but same idea...

...and you can buy STi cast aluminum inlets with silicone hose for about $70 on ebay...just be careful when you cut the hose is VERY VERY easy to end up cutting off too much...I ruined 4 before I got it right.

#12 ·
If you are looking into replacing your OEM TMIC with USDM STi TMIC, make sure to replace air splitter kit with JDM one from rallispec ($84).

I've been driving my car with regular WRX splitter for several months now and noticed TMIC was getting noticeably hot... I placed an order for a correct air splitter kit from rallispec yesterday finally. :)

#13 · (Edited)
Finally had a chance to install JDM STi air splitter today.

WRX splitter:

Side by side comparison:

Splitter comparison:

Installed:

Directs air through two channels (much more effective in cooling lower section of TMIC).

#20 ·
You actually noticed the big difference? I know that STi TMIC with WRX splitter wasn't effective in cooling STi TMIC. It had gotten too hot to touch after one hour of driving on highway...

#24 ·
blarg said:
don't know about fitment on the '06's but the sti IC does use a different Y-pipe.
yeah its alot different
but im pretty sure a;lotta wrx's that have switched and got the sti tmic, had to buy a different y-pipe... andbody know what i should look for? cuz the stock wrx ypipe wont fit on the sti tmic, and the sti y-pipe isnt fitting either

#26 ·
This is all great info thanks. Be doing STi TM soon., Im not doing a turbo ubgrade rite now but am gonna snag a guys TMIC couse its a great deal. I'm gonna put it on anyway. May be pointless to dothis without a bigger Turbo but it has to help the car some still, rite??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.