wideband install (PLX M-300)

This is a discussion on wideband install (PLX M-300) within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I recently recieved a PLX M-300-USB wideband o2 sensor and decided to take some pics during the install. The M-300-USB ...

wideband install (PLX M-300)

I recently recieved a PLX M-300-USB wideband o2 sensor and decided to take some pics during the install. The M-300-USB is an effort by PLX and COBB so that using the Street Tuner software you can log the AFRs from the wideband. Its pretty slick and costs the same as the regular M-300. On to the install...
    The first thing I did was install connectors to the + and - wires:

I then mounted the display unit where the clock was. It is almost a perfect fit. From there I fed the wires down to the connector intended for the cigarette lighter:

I did it this may incase I ever needed to remove it from the car it would make it a lot easier.
    On to the fun part: I then proceeded to remove the factory rear O2 sensor and some of its harness:
    (drivers side of tranny)
    (Top of tranny)
    I then installed the wideband sensor and tried to follow the stock wiring placement as close as possible:

I ended up just feeding the portion of harness that goes to the display unit through the same hole in the firewall i used for the vac line and wires for the EGT gauge.
    Semi-installed:

Night shot:

I'll take some pics in the day tomorrow but this should suffice for now... feel free to ask any questions...
    Last edited by Fuji HM; 01-02-2006 at 10:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that's a nice install and a good place you chose to mount it too!

Thanks for the kind words... I was really surprised with how easy the installation was: one positive wire, one negative, and the O2 sensor since the COBB software negated the need to hook up the narrowband output.
    I got Dyno Tuned today and the AFR's were right in line with the dyno's wideband. I think the highest discrepancy was .05 AFR... For $325 you really cant beat it.

for $325? how about $299? (SERIOUSLY not trying to advertise) haha..

Quote Originally Posted by streetrays
    for $325? how about $299? (SERIOUSLY not trying to advertise) haha..
    Where at?
    Cobb Stage two and a half.

I'm not sure we can say the place, but if it's permissible AT ALL, streetrays.com

I picked my M-300 from http://www.streetrays.com, the guys there have taken good care of me over the past year.

Also, great call on installing it in the clock. Great placement!

I was curious about installing my sensor in the old o2 bung so I dont have to get another bung welded on. There are rumors that this will make the car not run at all. Have you had any issues or did you have to tune out the old o2 sensor? Im running a Utec so I can set the fuel to run on closed loop at all times and maybe avoid these problems, but Id like to see how yours turned out.
    My poor tranny!... someone sell me an aspen white 06 sti.

Mods

The rear O2 deals primarily with emissions, not with actual fuel trim. I run COBB's AP so all the codes associated with the rear O2 are disabled anyway...

Does the plx give any other readings besides a/f? My zeitronix wideband use to read rpm, throttle position, a/f and egt, after I added a separate sensor. I did have to splice into the harness for rpm and tp. Perhaps that's handled by the street tuner software.