up pipe removal without jacking engine up
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on up pipe removal without jacking engine up within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; is there anyway possible to get the uppipe out without jacking the engine up or losening the manifold? thanks again ...

up pipe removal without jacking engine up

is there anyway possible to get the uppipe out without jacking the engine up or losening the manifold? thanks again

nate

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you would have to remove or at least completely loosen the turbo. but i think jacking up the engine is the easiest way. you only need about 1-2 inches for the uppipe to slip out. its only one nut that you need to undo.

I Support ClubWRX
    Taking a shortcut often makes the job take longer.

i have to agree that jacking up the engine is best. i tried removing the uppipe without jacking or removing manifold and didnt work, i than resorted to jacking up the engine and it was easy after that.
    New England F4
    Top End Racing

yeah i decided to take off the nut on both sides to make it easy. you have to pay attention to how the engine comes back down on the mount. if i remember, it needs to line up right. you can tell when you put it back down and you cant get the nut on right. just give the engine a little shove and it will slide in
    2005 Nissan 350z roadster
    Originally Posted by BrianH
    I can hit 10K more posts before a neon R/T will hit 60mph.

Quote Originally Posted by JDM 3SGTE
    you would have to remove or at least completely loosen the turbo. but i think jacking up the engine is the easiest way. you only need about 1-2 inches for the uppipe to slip out. its only one nut that you need to undo.
    Done 4 or 5 cars so far, still haven't had to jack up the engine or loosen the turbo. It's all about twist and roll....twist and roll...

whats the secret then pingflood? did you have to loosen up the turbo bracket. if i am doing it right i might just have to take off the 2 bottom bolts on the uppipe and then the 5 bolts by the turbo and it might come out otherwise i have to jack the motor up right. am i missing any other steps up to the point of the 7 bolts? is there anything else holding it togeather?

Quote Originally Posted by sethtroy
    whats the secret then pingflood? did you have to loosen up the turbo bracket. if i am doing it right i might just have to take off the 2 bottom bolts on the uppipe and then the 5 bolts by the turbo and it might come out otherwise i have to jack the motor up right. am i missing any other steps up to the point of the 7 bolts? is there anything else holding it togeather?
    Well, here's what I did (briefly):

Remove turbo heatshield(s)
    Remove downpipe (you can loosen it enough to wrestle it off the turbo but it can be some effort, easier to just pull it)
    Unplug EGT sensor
    Remove plastic shield in pass side wheel well to access O2 sensor
    Remove O2 sensor
    Remove passenger manifold heatshield
    Remove passenger side manifold (3 nuts to head, 2 nuts/bolts to intermediate pipe, 2 nuts/bolts to uppipe)
    Remove 5 bolts holding uppipe to turbo/bracket
    Pull uppipe down towards where manifold was, twist around 180 degrees and push back up and over to clear all the crap. It might take a few minutes to figure out but I have yet to see a car this didn't work on. It might help if you pull the EGT sensor probe from the uppipe.

I may have missed a step or three there, but that's the general idea...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pingflood
    Well, here's what I did (briefly):

Remove turbo heatshield(s)
    Remove downpipe (you can loosen it enough to wrestle it off the turbo but it can be some effort, easier to just pull it)
    Unplug EGT sensor
    Remove plastic shield in pass side wheel well to access O2 sensor
    Remove O2 sensor
    Remove passenger manifold heatshield
    Remove passenger side manifold (3 nuts to head, 2 nuts/bolts to intermediate pipe, 2 nuts/bolts to uppipe)
    Remove 5 bolts holding uppipe to turbo/bracket
    Pull uppipe down towards where manifold was, twist around 180 degrees and push back up and over to clear all the crap. It might take a few minutes to figure out but I have yet to see a car this didn't work on. It might help if you pull the EGT sensor probe from the uppipe.

I may have missed a step or three there, but that's the general idea...
    Adding to that:
    Remove one 14mm nut - less than a minute
    Place jack under oil pan with piece of wood in between, and jack up a few inches - less than a minute
    Uppipe falls out - no wrestling, twisting, or scraping of parts

I've tried it both ways. Jacking the motor up is the easiest way.

That explains why it took me so long. I jacked up the engine and pulled it out without loosening or removing the manifold at all. I pinched and shorted a transmission sensor by jacking it up too far, so be careful. I was afraid of exhaust leaks if I loosened the manifold at all. This would have made it much easier.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by VVVV
    That explains why it took me so long. I jacked up the engine and pulled it out without loosening or removing the manifold at all. I pinched and shorted a transmission sensor by jacking it up too far, so be careful. I was afraid of exhaust leaks if I loosened the manifold at all. This would have made it much easier.
    Disconnecting the battery is always a good idea on medium to large jobs.

Registered User talonboost18psi's Avatar
    so it sounds to me that this job is hard to do and it can be done a few different ways. I want to know if any one else has done it with out removel or losening the manafold?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by talonboost18psi
    so it sounds to me that this job is hard to do and it can be done a few different ways. I want to know if any one else has done it with out removel or losening the manafold?
    To do it that way, you need to remove the turbo.

I took mine out w/o loosening the turbo or manifold. Like stated before, it comes out with a twist and roll, and if you pay attention how you got it out, it will go back in the same way.
    '02 WRB WRX
    '92 Civic Si

Yep the twist and roll...works pretty good. Only thing was that I had to use a hammer to beat it out.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.