up pipe removal without jacking engine up - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on up pipe removal without jacking engine up within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Just wanted to ditto the guys who said jacking up the engine is easiest. I tried it the other two ...

Just wanted to ditto the guys who said jacking up the engine is easiest. I tried it the other two ways first. As soon as I jacked the engine, it fell right out.
    2002 WRX Sedan - 2000 Mazda Miata
    Do us all a favor: work on learning how to drive your car before adding more power. Pretty please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I just don't get why people freak out about having to jack the engine up. Like Trainrex said it quite simple and quick. I mean if you can twist it out then go for it but jacking up the motor is probably the simplest part of the entire job.

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    I just tried the twist & roll method first. No luck. Then i tried to jack the engine up. I removed both the engine mount nuts & the whole car still went up with the engine. It never seperated from the mounts to give the up pipe more room to drop out. I'm usually mechanically inclined, but damn. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. It seems like everyone else had it "easy". As of right now, my car is in the garage with tools & parts everywhere. I'm going to try it again after work. Any other suggestions?
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04
    I just tried the twist & roll method first. No luck. Then i tried to jack the engine up. I removed both the engine mount nuts & the whole car still went up with the engine. It never seperated from the mounts to give the up pipe more room to drop out. I'm usually mechanically inclined, but damn. Not sure what i'm doing wrong. It seems like everyone else had it "easy". As of right now, my car is in the garage with tools & parts everywhere. I'm going to try it again after work. Any other suggestions?
    It sounds like you may have removed the wrong nuts for the mount. You want to separate the passenger mount from the crossmember, not the mount from the engine.

Yeah, i'm pretty sure i did that. I took the 14mm nut off that has a washer under it. It was in between the crossmember section. I'm going to try to look for some pics of the mount, etc. Anyone have any pics handy? Thanks.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Update

I did take the right one off. I had to pry the engine up away from the mount & the up pipe came out. All is in. All is good.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

yeah.. i just spent 16 dollars at the autohobby shop. I ran out of time (they were closing for the day) because i didn't jack the mf'n engine up, so i had to bolt everything back up. I could've just stopped by, handed'em 16 bucks and went to the beach and my time would have been better spent... son of a b word. gonna try again this weekend tho... with the motor jacked up...
    she was like "ahhhh you're nailing me!..cool."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.