Exhaust Questions

This is a discussion on Exhaust Questions within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I am in the process of learning about my wrx and what should go on it. Currently I have a ...

Lightbulb Exhaust Questions

I am in the process of learning about my wrx and what should go on it. Currently I have a Greddy catback exhaust on my wrx.

Here is my question. What is meant by the phrase "turbo back" exhaust. Naturally something about the turbo being in the back. I'm trying to find out what would be the best combination I should get.

For example, when I get an uppipe and downpipe, will my current catback be fine or will an exhaust similar to the sti type or a twin tip type of deal be better than a 3' pipe all the way to end end? I heard something about exhaust pressure being good, likewise about restriction (small pipe, cats) being bad.

Will my current catback be fine for when I get a new uppipe/downpipe, and also with my planned turbo upgrade, intercooler, stage tuning etc?

Also, which uppipe/downpipe should I get? I don't want to get the priciest, but I need something that will handle the VF34 and the boost that will be added later. What are things to look for when getting uppipe/downpipe given my requirments and current catback?

Your help and knowledge is much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

turbo back exhaust means that what you buy includes everything from the TURBO - back, meaning, the downpipe,and cat back (or cat, and axleback). Its just a sectional describing what the exhaust replaces.

As far as uppipe and downpipe combos, im pretty sure MOST are universal (I think all uppipes are the same) but I think there are some downpipes that do not fit with some catbacks, not too sure though.

Before you do anything, I would draw out on paper (or Excel) where you want to go. That way you know exactly where your money goes. You can break your mods/upgrades into "stages" and then plan accordingly.

I have the GReddy Evo2 and I am happy with it so far, but I might need another catback. It has a design flaw in it. The last flange where the axleback is vibrates and knocks against my tranny/axle/rear dif.

You need a bellmouth downpipe if you are planning to upgrade your turbo. You'll also need engine management. I went with PDE pipes and they are great. No CELs with the down or up pipe. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I think all of the downpipes are universal except TurboXS, but I'm not sure.

VF34 is a nice turbo. I would look at Deadbolt Enterprises when you're ready to buy one. If I swap my turbo, I'll probably get their p&p VF34 or monster p&p 16G.

200whp 208wtq @ 11psi (old)