MOD: Utec Map Selector Hazord Switch

This is a discussion on MOD: Utec Map Selector Hazord Switch within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Soon after installing the UTEC map selector on my center consol I figured it wa sonly a matter of time ...

DIY: Utec Map Selector Hazord Switch

Soon after installing the UTEC map selector on my center consol I figured it wa sonly a matter of time untill either A. Some person in my car or even possibly meself would accidently push the switch. Or B. a passenger of mine would push the button out of curiosity. Neither sounded like something I wanted to happen, especially while I would be driving.....So it's time for some simple DIY.

Step 1: Go to a local store that sells switches w/ hazard caps. I tried NAPA, Wal-Mart, and Radio Shack. Radio Shack had the best deal for me so I picked up a red hazard switch for $5.

Step 2: Take apart the switch and remove the flip cap from the toggle-switch.

Step 3: Place the safty flip cap in a stable place i.e a vice, and cut away the unneeded bracket where it fits around the switch. You may also modify the bracket to sleeve over the switch if you wish too. Cutting off half the bracket worked fine for me though.

Step 4: Attach some 3M double sided sitcky to the hazard flip switch and mount it on your map selector.

Done! now you don't have to worry about your map selector being tripped while driving. Plus it dosen't look too bad mounted on your dash. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0129.JPG   IMAG0134.JPG   IMAG0135.JPG  
    Last edited by Ssleeping; 07-27-2005 at 11:07 AM.
    2002 WRB stage 4 WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think that would be more of a temptation for passengers than anything shy of having an lcd screen.

Possibly, I suppose it depends on the passangers. With the unprotected button I could just see a passanger putting their hand down and flipping the switch. Well...it was about a $5, 5 min DIY for me.
    2002 WRB stage 4 WRX

the map will not change unless the rpms are lower than 1500

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon wrX
    the map will not change unless the rpms are lower than 1500
    it can and apparantly it is pretty scary when it happens.

why didn't you just put it in the slot on the left side by the foglights and cruise control switch?
    Former member of bugeye mafia

<=====my old baby