This is a VERY simple mod and I'm surprised no one's tried it.
Its so simple I'm not even going to post pictures right now.
as always, if you blow up your car and/or get hurt while performing/trying/using/thinking about/not thinking about/standing near/not standing near this mod, or reading about it don't come crying to me.
also, wrxdrvr beat me to actually doing this mod after I posted the idea, so thank him for being a guinea pig, and sharing temp data from this sensors.
You will need 2 new bolts to replace the bolts holding down your IC. The bolts are 8mm and 1.25 thread pitch. I'd suggest about 1 inch longer than stock (about 50mm...you might be able to get even more tilt depending on whether you have different intercooler hoses, aftermarket hood or scoop, or if you removed your scoop weatherstripping, so you might need even longer bolts). You will also need spacers. You can either cut some pipe to the appropriate length or use washers. Washers maybe be good to get an idea for how far you can tilt before you cut some pipe. Leaving the washers in will work, but will make it a pain to remove the IC in the future.
1) remove the 2 bolts holding down the IC (one on each side).
2) Starting with the driver's side, insert one of the new longer bolts into the tab on the IC, but do not bolt it down yet. Add washers between the IC bracket and the IC to rase the back of the IC. You will have to test-fit the hood to make sure the weatherstripping and air splitter don't get in the way. (I took mine off completely), but you may need to trim the rubber around the weatherstipping to get the best tilt.
3) when you got the IC as far up as you can given the length of the hoses and hood clearance, bolt down the driver's side of the IC
4) Stick one of the new bolts through the tab on the passanger's side of the IC. Repeat the same procedure. This side will require a shorter spacer because the bracket is slightly more forward than the other one.
5) go for a test drive
6) if you want, use the washers as a template to make a spacer from a piece of pipe. This spacer will be easier to work with if you ever have to take the IC off, and reduce the risk of dropping a handfull of washers into your engine bay.
from data taken from a WRX with temp sensors mounted before and after the IC (thanks wrxdrvr), tilting the intercooler increased the temperature drop across the intercooler by 5-7 degrees at freeway speeds and up to 12 degrees at city driving speeds (over what it would be without the tilt). It also reduces the time it takes the intercooler to recover from heat soak by about half (that is if you're idling with a heat-soaked IC, when you start moving again, it takes about half as long for IC temps to start coming down again). Pictures coming in about a week.
honestly, its not a HUGE performance mod, but its certainly worth the $3 in hardware and 20 minutes of time.
oh, you may also want to loosen the hose clamps on the front of the IC and the turbo to let the IC move more freely.
Just got a PM from wrxdrvr - if you want a bit more clearance and don't want to cut your weatherstripping - here's another option.Hi ! That's a great write up for the "blarg Tilt" . Everything looks great on the tutorial , another option you could add is if you want to keep factory seal around IC to scoop you can raise hood by 1/2 inch. All you need is 4 washers or so per bolt on hinge, 4 bolts that are 3/8 inch longer than stock, and you are done.