THE BLARG MOD: Intercooler tilt: increases temp drop across the intercooler - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on THE BLARG MOD: Intercooler tilt: increases temp drop across the intercooler within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by blarg so I was getting ready to install the IC today....I happened to stick my hand into ...

Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    so I was getting ready to install the IC today....I happened to stick my hand into it just to make sure there was no metal pieces from the drilling stuck in there...my hand came out so dirty it was scary....it was dirtier than Ray's mind!!!

I guess the person who sold it to me (*cough*Creditcards*cough*) was using it as a dust bin for his vaccum cleaner or something...yikes. I just flushed it out with carb cleaner and water and have to wait for it to dry now.
    it was out of the box once,cause i had to look at it. i think it might be from the vendor i bought it from.
    Yea tru love we can find ourselves
    I call our true identies
    Love ya brudda love ya sista
    Love everyone...the univeral sign
    Ill take it from here

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

so I was getting ready to install the IC today....I happened to stick my hand into it just to make sure there was no metal pieces from the drilling stuck in there...my hand came out so dirty it was scary....it was dirtier than Ray's mind!!!

I guess the person who sold it to me (*cough*Creditcards*cough*) was using it as a dust bin for his vaccum cleaner or something...yikes. I just flushed it out with carb cleaner and water and have to wait for it to dry now.
    hehe sneaky little demon

Doesn't look like this mod works on the 2006 WRX. The stock TMIC is wider and not as tall as it was before, so the washers just end up raising it, not tilting it.

Now I'm curious if the same aftermarket TMICs will fit on this car...and why the heck Subaru changed it!
    Black 2006 WRX Sedan

Snorkus-deleted with K&N drop-in
    Defi-Link Boost, EGT, Oil Temp - Gruppe-S CF dash pod
    TurboXS Turbo-back
    That's it so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Evil
    Doesn't look like this mod works on the 2006 WRX. The stock TMIC is wider and not as tall as it was before, so the washers just end up raising it, not tilting it.

Now I'm curious if the same aftermarket TMICs will fit on this car...and why the heck Subaru changed it!
    well poop. that's too bad. from what I remember, they may be in at more of an angle from the factory.

also, as long as the front of the IC is still atatched firmly to the throttle body, if you try to raise it, it should tilt. since the font end can't move, only the rear will tilt up.

I know the mod works on the 2005 FXT's, but as you say it is very possible that the new design doesn't allow for this...and if they changed the IC alltogether, that would suck even more since now you're going to have to wait for a good long time for someone to start making larger aftermarkey TMIC's...and even FMIC kits may need to be redesigned.

on well.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

isht happens i guess

well I finally had a chance to rip into this install.

looks like I can't tilt the IC any more because the back of the IC is pretty much up against the hood. I'm going to have to stick on some foam to keep them from rubbing. it looks to me like the intercooler already had a pretty good tilt on it, so I guess I'm just going to have to leave it as is. I'm going to post some pictures of the temp sensor install in my gauge install thread (part 1 of the sprayer writeup) if anyone is interested.

I also FiretrUCKED up and cut the IC inlet hose too short so I can't reconnect it to the turbo... so I'm going to have to borrow a car and drive down to XO racing and pick up another one.
    go f*** yourself

well I finally had a chance to rip into this install.

looks like I can't tilt the IC any more because the back of the IC is pretty much up against the hood. I'm going to have to stick on some foam to keep them from rubbing. it looks to me like the intercooler already had a pretty good tilt on it, so I guess I'm just going to have to leave it as is. I'm going to post some pictures of the temp sensor install in my gauge install thread (part 1 of the sprayer writeup) if anyone is interested.

I also FiretrUCKED up and cut the IC inlet hose too short so I can't reconnect it to the turbo... so I'm going to have to borrow a car and drive down to XO racing and pick up another one.
    that sucks, you ever get the hood done btw?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bxr
    that sucks, you ever get the hood done btw?
    no, the intercooler is bigger than I thought, and although there's STILL something I could do with a custom hood, the cost of the project has pretty much ruled it out. it would make the project more expensive than an FMIC, and I won't know if there are any benefits until the money had been spent.

I got all the piping and brackets figured out, but the hood isn't going to happen...at least not in the near future. I have other more proven mods in the works, and other expenses as well.
    go f*** yourself

no, the intercooler is bigger than I thought, and although there's STILL something I could do with a custom hood, the cost of the project has pretty much ruled it out. it would make the project more expensive than an FMIC, and I won't know if there are any benefits until the money had been spent.

I got all the piping and brackets figured out, but the hood isn't going to happen...at least not in the near future. I have other more proven mods in the works, and other expenses as well.
    so any pics? how tilted exactly is it?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bxr
    so any pics? how tilted exactly is it?
    it actually looks pretty tilted compared to stock. I'm going to try to get another hose tomorrow and finish the and I'll take some pictures when its done. I also have to fabricate a passanger's side bracket out of some aluminum stock I have.
    go f*** yourself

Ok its finally DONE!!!!

I would like to mention for the record that havin to cut your own silicone hose to fit from the turbo to the y-pipe REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY sucks. I ruined 2 silicone hoses @$35 each getting it right. I'm usually pretty good with this stuff, so that just really pissed me off.

how's this for tilt. The IC went in at such an angle (this is without modifications) that the back of the IC actually rubs on the hood!!! if I didn't have a CF hood it probably wouldn't close. I'm going to get some sticky felt pads and the Depot tomorrow. On the positive, this will probably eliminate all that wobbling my hood does at higher speeds.

now for the meat.

the temp drop is AMAZING!

I only got to drive in some Hollywood traffic to test it out, but WOW. where as the OEM intercooler gave me about a 10-15 degree temp drop and would get heat soaked after 10 minutes of traffic, this one stayed at 80 - 90 degrees!!! I've NEVER seen double digit temperatures on my stock IC after the car got warmed up. The temp drop across the intercooler was hovering around 35-40 DEGREES!!!! The inlet temp was about 125-130... same as before.

Also, about 20-30 seconds at 25-30 MPH would drop the temperature back into the high 70's low 80's. After a 35 minute drive I shut down the car and let it sit for about 20 minutes. When I got back into it I was showing inlet and outlet temps of 120-125 degrees. As soon as I started moving, I could see the outlet temp dropping like a stone. After a 10 minute drive IN TRAFFIC, (never got over 15 MPH) the temp was back to 85! I really think this intercooler will NOT get heatsoked in traffic as long as you keep moving a little bit.

I can't wait to do some non-traffic testing, but wow!

so...the verdict: its a bit of a pain to install....but go get one NOW!!!
    go f*** yourself

So how much of a degree of increase in tilt from stock? Do you have ducting or a seal to scoop of any kind? Where's the pics? We want pics. We need to see pics.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr
    So how much of a degree of increase in tilt from stock? Do you have ducting or a seal to scoop of any kind? Where's the pics? We want pics. We need to see pics.
    ok...normal around the town cruising with my stock TMIC was in the 108-118 range with an inlet temp of 125-135.

with this IC, I was getting 80-90 in heavy traffic...with the same inlet temps. there is no ducting or seal of any kind because 1) I have an aftermarket hood that the ducting won't fit on, and 2) even if it DID fit, the IC would get in the way and I'd have to take it off. However, since the back of the IC ends up resting right behind the scoop, and the IC is almost as wide as the entire scoop, it pretty much seals itself.

it was too dark to take pics by the time I got done, so I'll take some tomorrow.
    go f*** yourself

frickin sweet hmm after market IC and hood hmmm

yeah show it soon bro! got to see it!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.