THE BLARG MOD: Intercooler tilt: increases temp drop across the intercooler - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on THE BLARG MOD: Intercooler tilt: increases temp drop across the intercooler within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; Originally Posted by blarg his bolts were a bit too long and he didn't want to tilt the IC anymore ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by blarg
    his bolts were a bit too long and he didn't want to tilt the IC anymore because he'd have to cut his weatherstripping, so he put washers on top to make the longer bolt work.
    Okay- so that little orange unit is the spacer that actually tilts and raises the IC, and the washers are just cause the bolt was a little long. Do I have that right?
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by timber
    Okay- so that little orange unit is the spacer that actually tilts and raises the IC, and the washers are just cause the bolt was a little long. Do I have that right?

yes, and you can actually tilt it MORE than that if you don't mind ditching your weatherstripping...or cutting it.
    ScoobyDMC #009 - making dirty jokes since before you were making dirty diapers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarg
    go f*** yourself

just got confirmation over on Scoobymods that this mod works for the FXT as well.
    go f*** yourself

Do not attempt this if u have a turbo xs rfl BOV. The bov will get int the way of your tilt. U can only use one to three washers maybe.

i mentioned this in the original post, i just took mine off it was getting on my nerves anyway, and i'm the kind of person that puts go before show
    Aspen white/gold 03 sedan *SOLD*
    Aspen white/gold 06 STi STG2 Bailey ProTuned

yeah I figured an aftermarket BOV might get in the way...but not the stocker.

....so I found a shop that works with CF..I was thinking of asking them to mod my CF hood and scoop so I can stand the IC on its side (will have to get some aluminum piping to make that happen)...we'll see how much it would cost...

I was thinking of doing something like a Manta type hood, except with a bigger opening, and running the IC completely on its side...basically an FMIC orientation for the TMIC. The hood wouldn't really be THAT much more in the way than it already is....we're talking MAYBE 2 more inches in height.

That would give you all the advantages of the FMIC without the lag!
    Last edited by blarg; 07-25-2005 at 08:16 PM.
    go f*** yourself

Blarg you are nuts for considering that....I admire you and your effort.

As for the tilting, I just got finished going the install. I went to the hardware store and bought two 60mm bolts, two metal spacers and a bunch of washers. My camera is busted but if I get the chance I will post picks. The install went great and I got really lucky. I took the weather stripping off and when I closed the hood, the IC is maybe an 1/8in away from the bottom of the scoop. The weatherstripping is not even needed. All in all i cant wait to drive although I dont know how much I will feel but it is extrememly hot here right now so im hoping this will help around town driving.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisSnT
    Blarg you are nuts for considering that....I admire you and your effort.

well at this point its just a thought. I think I have about a 3" scoop right now, I'd probably need something like 4"-5" of opening to make it work so I don't know how resonable that is...I suppose I could just do a 45 degree tilt or something. At any rate, THIS is something I could get manufactured and start selling, as it would require specially made parts (at the very least 2 IC pipes, a scoop and some mounting hardware). But its still quite a way away from being anything more than an idea and some discussion with people who could make it happen.
    go f*** yourself

well at this point its just a thought. I think I have about a 3" scoop right now, I'd probably need something like 4"-5" of opening to make it work so I don't know how resonable that is...I suppose I could just do a 45 degree tilt or something. At any rate, THIS is something I could get manufactured and start selling, as it would require specially made parts (at the very least 2 IC pipes, a scoop and some mounting hardware). But its still quite a way away from being anything more than an idea and some discussion with people who could make it happen.

thats a big scoop, like that maddad CF one thats 4" i believe. G/l !!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo_bxr
    thats a big scoop, like that maddad CF one thats 4" i believe. G/l !!

wel like I said, i was thinking of modding the hood itself like the Manta hood.

but the opening would still have to be about 4" or more. I dunno...might look kind of bad-ass

feel free to try a little photochop and see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails manta.hood2.jpg  
    go f*** yourself

but the opening would still have to be about 4" or more. I dunno...might look kind of bad-ass

that manta hood can look so wierd some times..... but yet good. Good luck and do keep us posted! like to see how things workout!

I Support ClubWRX

I <3 that hood !!
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by timber
    I <3 that hood !!

me too maybe after I stop spending money on performance mods I'll get one...but for now I'm going to see if the bodyshop that does CF work can mod mine...its a C-west V2.

go f*** yourself

I Support ClubWRX
    me too maybe after I stop spending money on performance mods I'll get one...but for now I'm going to see if the bodyshop that does CF work can mod mine...its a C-west V2.

Sweet !!
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    -5,000 posts

well I finally got to do some testing, including 2 runs to Santa Barbara from L.A. on two consecutive days, one with the tilt and one without.

I did see a temp drop of an additional 5 degrees or so. Sometimes more, sometimes less. However the noticable difference is in the shorter time it takes for the temperature to start dropping when you're heat-soaked and start moving again. It cuts that time by about half. It also makes the IC a bit more effective at speeds below 40 MPH, which without the tilt showed little to no difference (no more than 10 degrees) from intake to outlet temperatures for me once the car was warmed up. With the tilt I'm getting a cooling effect down to 25-30 MPH.

As for the long drive (about 80 mile trip), Without the tilt my outlet temp was right around 110 degrees for the trip, with the tilt it was hovering in the 103-105 range - not a huge difference, but certainly worth $3, but like I said, for me, the more important effect was the quicker heat soak recovery.
    go f*** yourself

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.