DIY short ram intake
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on DIY short ram intake within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; WARNING!!!!! This modification may cause a CEL (Read: Misfire) when using COBB AP Maps. Use at your own risk!!! This ...

DIY short ram intake

WARNING!!!!! This modification may cause a CEL (Read: Misfire) when using COBB AP Maps. Use at your own risk!!!

This is for people with shallow pockets and those of us who would rather create than purchase alike:
    Look Familar?

After some melting/cutting of plastic a short ram is born:

Installed:

More info here: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/812938/4
    Last edited by Fuji HM; 04-05-2006 at 05:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

huh, no one replied to this. How is it working out for you?
    VF-39 Powered
    298.71HP/282.36TQ on 93Oct
    319.32HP/308.27TQ on 110Oct

yea, i wasn't sure if people had already done this or what, but i was expecting more replies. So far so good though: No cel's, spools up alot faster, and there was a very noticable top end improvement. The turbo noise and stock BOV are more pronounced but thats to be expected, and i love it.
    I can't say that my EGT's really changed too much either: max before was 1425 at the top of 4th, and i was at 1400 at 5k before i had to slow down but i know it would have gotten hotter if i wound it out more.( This is 3" off of the head on #4: kinda rich i know...)
    I will say though that i'm not happy with the bracket i made. I need to make something a little more substantial because it doesnt sag or anything but it kinda moves back and forth. I think a GPMoto or Samco elbow might help with that some as well...
    Last edited by Fuji HM; 06-02-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Man I can't believe I paid $125 for an intake when that is all that is needed! Had to fabricate a bracket from some metal strip too and then zip tie the intake to the metal strip...

Hmm I may just have to try this out...

On my fmic install, I was kinda pressed to do it. I had it at a friend's house for the install, by the time I was putting everything back together, it was too late to go find an intake @ a shop, and I had to get it running that night so my boy had a barely used K&N so I said wtf, why not
    - Local Riceist

so nobody has any problems with this mod? Is it possible to see a pic of the pipe with out the air filter on it?
    VF-39 Powered
    298.71HP/282.36TQ on 93Oct
    319.32HP/308.27TQ on 110Oct

I Support ClubWRX
    Very cool work you've done there! Awesome for the budget conscious!
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

i did this about 2 weeks ago. best free mod ever. well free for me since i took the cone filter off a friends old crashed car.
    it took about an hour to complete and there was no CEL. the turbo has signifigantly improved with the spool time and it is loud as hell.

so overall it was a very good "free" mod

Any pics of the process being done?
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

"Days get shorter, nights get longer, snow gets deeper, life gets better."

This is what it looks like without the filter...

What filter did you use?

Can this be attached right at the turbo inlet pipe or do you have to use that curvy currogated piece?
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

I used a K&N filter (p# RX-4990) because unlike most filters, the inlet is actually radiused. Any 3" conical filter should work though... to an extent.

I guess you could join the short ram portion right to the inlet pipe (you'd still need a piece to join them though) but why? That just brings the filter closer to the engine so it can take hotter air. Another issue whould be the MAF and if it would reach. Regardless I wouldn't recommend it.
    Last edited by Fuji HM; 07-27-2005 at 02:21 PM.

May I ask whereyou bought it from and how much? Im looking online and so far $60 is the best price Ive seen. Anything cheaper? Im most likely going to buy an airbox off a friend and hack it up just so I dont have to hack up my only one and screw it up.
    Dan- 2004 PSM 5spd

I got it kind of spur of the moment at a local speed shop... 10 minutes and $75 later I walked out with a filter. Originally I was going to try to use an APC filter I got from Autozone but quickly returned after looking at/buying the K&N filter. You really get what you pay for. I'm not saying its the best, end all filter I'm just saying it works great for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.