So you want a STi intercooler in your 04+, but you want the stock WRX scoop
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on So you want a STi intercooler in your 04+, but you want the stock WRX scoop within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I installed a STI intercooler awhile back in my 04, ofcourse to make it "work" requires the STi splitter/seal and ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

So you want a STi intercooler in your 04+, but you want the stock WRX scoop

I installed a STI intercooler awhile back in my 04, ofcourse to make it "work" requires the STi splitter/seal and scoop. My wife wasn't tickled w/ the larger scoop, so I got to thinking (dangerous I know ). Going from memory the v7 hoop scoop seemed to be about the same size as the "new" WRX hood scoops- what if I used a v7 STi splitter under the stock WRX scoop- hmm- would it fit? Like a lot of things you don't know unless you try- so I ordered a a v7 STi splitter (rallispec). Well all the fasteners line up identically so it will "fit", but will fit properly?

I was suprised to find out that the WRX splitter is actually taller than the "old" STi splitter, by ~ 10mm.

Pics of v7 (left) v8 right from the side.

Pic from the top (you can see the v7 STi splitter comes further to the right- this is to accomodate the wider intercooler.

If my WRX splitter looks different than yours it's because I previously installed a "splitter" portion to use w/ the oe intercooler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v7vsv8.jpg   v7vsv8top.jpg   v7side.jpg   v8side.jpg  
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well to get it to fit properly, I have to make the v7 taller so it seals against the top of the hood scoop- you don't want iar to go over the splitter- you want all of it to go directly to the intercooler.

I noticed the v7 had a "lip" bent over the top (the oe WRX one doesn't)- I could cut this and fold it back and then cut back about a inch on each side and pull up the splitter to make it a little taller. I also added a little thicker strip of foam on the top side of the splitter to help seal it further. I got going fast and forgot to take pics of the finished product, but have a shot where I outlined where to cut. Pretty easy and I'm happy w/ the fit. My wife is happy w/ the old scoop back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v7top.jpg   v7topinstruction.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 05-14-2005 at 04:51 PM.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.