So you want a STi intercooler in your 04+, but you want the stock WRX scoop

This is a discussion on So you want a STi intercooler in your 04+, but you want the stock WRX scoop within the Engine Performance forums, part of the Tutorials & DIY category; I installed a STI intercooler awhile back in my 04, ofcourse to make it "work" requires the STi splitter/seal and ...

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

So you want a STi intercooler in your 04+, but you want the stock WRX scoop

I installed a STI intercooler awhile back in my 04, ofcourse to make it "work" requires the STi splitter/seal and scoop. My wife wasn't tickled w/ the larger scoop, so I got to thinking (dangerous I know ). Going from memory the v7 hoop scoop seemed to be about the same size as the "new" WRX hood scoops- what if I used a v7 STi splitter under the stock WRX scoop- hmm- would it fit? Like a lot of things you don't know unless you try- so I ordered a a v7 STi splitter (rallispec). Well all the fasteners line up identically so it will "fit", but will fit properly?

I was suprised to find out that the WRX splitter is actually taller than the "old" STi splitter, by ~ 10mm.

Pics of v7 (left) v8 right from the side.

Pic from the top (you can see the v7 STi splitter comes further to the right- this is to accomodate the wider intercooler.

If my WRX splitter looks different than yours it's because I previously installed a "splitter" portion to use w/ the oe intercooler.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v7vsv8.jpg   v7vsv8top.jpg   v7side.jpg   v8side.jpg  
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Moderating on the run! Big Sky WRX's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Well to get it to fit properly, I have to make the v7 taller so it seals against the top of the hood scoop- you don't want iar to go over the splitter- you want all of it to go directly to the intercooler.

I noticed the v7 had a "lip" bent over the top (the oe WRX one doesn't)- I could cut this and fold it back and then cut back about a inch on each side and pull up the splitter to make it a little taller. I also added a little thicker strip of foam on the top side of the splitter to help seal it further. I got going fast and forgot to take pics of the finished product, but have a shot where I outlined where to cut. Pretty easy and I'm happy w/ the fit. My wife is happy w/ the old scoop back
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails v7top.jpg   v7topinstruction.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Sky WRX; 05-14-2005 at 03:51 PM.
    "Simplify and add lightness." - Colin Chapman