ihi v39 OK for 03 WRX?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on ihi v39 OK for 03 WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I broke (it cracked) my stock turbo (o3 wrx) and have an ihi vf39 to replace it. Right now i ...

ihi vf39 OK for 03 WRX?

I broke (it cracked) my stock turbo (o3 wrx) and have an ihi vf39 to replace it. Right now i have an Invidia tbe and a helix up pipe, nothing else. I dont want any other mods right now.
    WILL I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS IF I USE THIS TURBO?
    I am most interested in having a reliable car. Yeah i wanna increase the power and have fun but i dont want to blow it up and don't need to beat vipers. Thanks in advance for help...
    Last edited by kite_tmr; 11-10-2005 at 12:42 PM. Reason: CORRECTION
    "xtra telles cause you know we the besst"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Elm
    You should be fine compatabillity wise, but you will need a custom tune for it to work properly. You may want some larger injectors / fuel pump aswell.
    2002 WRB Subaru Impreza WRX
    Mods - Pics - NSOC

Do i need a custom tune even if i don't want to increase boost?

Yes you will, I suggest to get a Utec or Ecutek. You can also mod your stock injectors and you should get a fuel pump. Also get a bigger intercooler.
    LISC #1
    05 STi - 300whp 331wtq 1/4 - 12.7 @107.4 (SOLD)
    06 Evo IX 370whp 386wtq (Under Construction)

I Support ClubWRX
    To run that turbo the safe and correct way, you will need to upgrade your injectors, fuel pump, and engine management. The most popular injectors for this application are the STI "pink" injectors. The most popular fuel pump is the Walbro 255lph pump. Engine management is a subjective thing. The most popular options are Ecutek, and Utec. Cobb also just released it's Street Tuner, but I don't know of any shops tuning them yet.

I have that turbo on my 02. With the stock fuel system you will max out the injectors at 11-12 psi. After that.....good luck. Will it bolt up? Yes. Can you do it with the stock fuel system and stock ecu and have any sort of reliability and power? No.

thanks but i'm I'm still getting mixed info on this.
    The guys at Flat4 engineering are telling me this set up is safe. They say the vf39 is not that big a turbo and claim that without increasing boost this is going to be safe. I asked them this ten times and they told me the same thing everyttime. I've asked a bunch of different people and everyone says something diffferent. I may take it in to the dyno this week. I appreciate input, thanks.[

the vf39 is a vf30 with a p17 hotside instead of a p18. 13 psi on a tdo4 is not the same as 13 psi on a vf30/39. Larger turbos will flow more air at the same psi as a smaller turbo, where the stocker may flow 250 cfm at 13, a 39 might flow 300 (these numbers are purely hypothetical.)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyh
    the vf39 is a vf30 with a p17 hotside instead of a p18. 13 psi on a tdo4 is not the same as 13 psi on a vf30/39. Larger turbos will flow more air at the same psi as a smaller turbo, where the stocker may flow 250 cfm at 13, a 39 might flow 300 (these numbers are purely hypothetical.)
    I don't think he's interested in hearing the cold hard facts. Go for it mang!!! Bolt it on!!!

Hey Tainrex - thanks for the input A Sshole...

And Rickyh you may be right - thank you (sincerely).

The guys at Flat4 do this for a living, they mod subaru's all day, that's why i am confused. The people on this forum are mixed from very knowledgable to not so knowledgeable. I feel the guys a Flat4 are knowledgeable and have nothing to gain by telling me something thats not true. On Monday i'll dyno the car - If it's lean it's lean.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kite_tmr

The guys at Flat4 do this for a living, they mod subaru's all day, that's why i am confused. The people on this forum are mixed from very knowledgable to not so knowledgeable. I feel the guys a Flat4 are knowledgeable and have nothing to gain by telling me something thats not true. On Monday i'll dyno the car - If it's lean it's lean.
    Your pm box is full
    Last edited by Trainrex; 03-26-2005 at 11:13 PM.

I hope it works out for you. The good thing is that you are gonna have it dynoed with a wideband and you will know what the a/f is before you go and put a bunch of hard miles on it. Please post your results cuz it will be interesting. I guess if you do stay around 13ish psi you may be ok, but I wouldn't push it much more than that. HP is addictive though....

Personally, i have a vf39 at 19 psi with alky injection, and while it pulls like a madman, it still isn't enough.

I hope it works out for you. The good thing is that you are gonna have it dynoed with a wideband and you will know what the a/f is before you go and put a bunch of hard miles on it. Please post your results cuz it will be interesting. I guess if you do stay around 13ish psi you may be ok, but I wouldn't push it much more than that. HP is addictive though....
    I hope I didn't come across as an ass. I just hate to see something bad happen.

Personally, i have a vf39 at 19 psi with alky injection, and while it pulls like a madman, it still isn't enough.

Hey keith its Dustin, Well I tracked your post down and like I told you before I would be a little leary, its a good thing your getting the car dynoed. But like I told you earlier the vf39 is a bigger turbo if you could look at compressor maps you would see. Finding a good TD04 map is hard though. But simply like stated above it outflows the TD04. One thing I can think of besides modding your stock injectors would be crushing your FPR that would put more fuel in, and then get a $100 fuel pump, we could have that changed out in 10 minutes. I would help you because I have to do mine aswell I have mine sitting in my garage. I am just trying to be on the safe side! When are you going to go on monday to dyno? I would be willing to go up there with you I always like making the trip over to Macs. Let me know. Hopefully the weather lets us go out tomorrow night.

Talk to you soon.

Post the same question on www.nasioc.com it is more tech friendly over there. I would be interested to see what some of the engine builders and old timers have to say.
    Last edited by CUBUFF; 03-26-2005 at 11:08 PM.
    2004 WRX completely stock! And becoming even more stock daily.

wow, someone trys to help you and you become some punk with sand in their ****

go with the pros that do this 'every day' and enjoy your car.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast