ihi v39 OK for 03 WRX? - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on ihi v39 OK for 03 WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Rick Schu Does that mean they've restricted your license or are you getting a replacement tuner guy? ...

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schu
    Does that mean they've restricted your license or are you getting a replacement tuner guy? And what's with you and the "tooner" all the time.
    We are fine with Ecutek, they are not restricting our license or anything like that. The guy we had doing it left and in our shortsightedness we did not make arrangements before hand. So now we are having to start over. Most likely I will be doing it from now on so in a way I am the replacement guy. From now on you see me when you set up the appointment, drop the car off, and I do the work personally, and collect your money when I am done. We had to many complaints with the old system.

As far as "tooner" it is a personal joke and I will leave it out from now on. As soon as Subaru's became "cool" everyone became a "tuner". All it took was selling your Honda and borrowing 10k from your mom for some software. It is like a personal insult to guys that have been doing this way before the WRX arrived.
    Tarmac-USA / Super-Rupair
    sales@tarmac-usa.com
    AIM: Tarmac Sales
    1309 Yarmouth Ave
    Boulder CO 80304
    303-442-6508 X108

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

wow

Wow, i'm surprised Tarmac chose to bring this up in a public forum.

Rather than dispute anything that has been said i will just quickly list the events as they occurred; (Keep in mind Tarmac is over an hour from where i live and all i ever wanted was an Uppipe and a Downpipe. Nothing else...I wanted to be very conservative with my car...)

1. I had Flat4/Tarmac install an uppipe at which time they broke my turbo and did not tell me about it .

2. A few months later i went back to them for a downpipe at which time the mechanic informed me the turbo housing was broken - i then informed him that Flat4/Tarmac where the ones who installed the upipe. They then admitted to me that they accidentally broke it months earlier while installing the uppipe .

3. They sold me a vf39 (very cheap) and installed it and sent me on my way. They said this was the best way to solve the issue and the car would be fine.

4. I told a few people about this solution and most reacted by saying your car will blow up. I then started to learn more about Subarus (the car was pretty new to me) and started to research what they had done (thats what this post was originally all about). My research indicated that this was a VERY questionable setup and possibly putting my car at risk. I went back to Tarmac who kept telling me this setup was fine. Eventually, they agreed that maybe this wasn't a safe setup and told me they would help get it right.

5. They then sold me a fuel pump (labor was n/c) and they told me the car was safe and sent me on my way. Everybody else told me this was not enough. Now i was really wondering if Tarmac knew what they were talking about.

6. I had the car dynoed at Mac Autosports, the tuner stopped the dynopull in the middle claiming he heard KNOCK and the car was dangerously lean. I went back to Tarmac who then felt it was lean in some areas of the rpm range. They told me they would get me injectors.

7. At this point i think they where hoping i would just go away. I called every week and every week they were unable to get injectors. They were waitng for a container, blah blah blah. This went on for months. I drove around under 4000rpm's for months.

8. They eventually got me injectors and reluctantly slapped them in bending the fuel rail bracket up and leaving it unbolted. My buddies with Subarus couldn't believe the fuel rail when they saw it.

9. Then the "tooner" reflashed my car with Ecutek. Probably one of the first attempts made at a tune (My car again the guinea pig...) It ran like **** on the dyno with power surges and spikes and even worse on the street. Low in the rpm band were surges of power and then later on drops in boost. Aynway, while we were on the dyno at Tarmac they couldn't figure out what was wrong with the reflash. Night time came and i left.

10. I then made arrangements to go back to Tarmac to see if they could fix the tune. They cancelled on me cause they were working on cars for the Import tuner at Bandimere. I got jerked around on the phone a few more times and then made arrangements again for one afternoon.

11. The "tooner" told me come after 2pm. I took off from work and drove an hour to Boulder. When i got there the "tooner" was gone. So i stood there with my dck in my hand for a few minutes and then drove back home.

12. I then decided i couldnt drive around anymore with my car possibly in jeopardy. At this point i contacted a Subaru master tech (who owns a heavily modified STI) to get an opinion. He checked out the car and advised me to not drive it anymore without proper engine management. I then went and bought a Cobb Accessport, reflashed my ecu and the nightmare ended...

I stressed out about this for months, wondering if driving my car around was dangerous or not. I bought this car cause i wanted it to be fun. All i wanted was a couple of safe mods and instead ended up with months of agony dealing with Tarmac.

I will say that i beleive that Joe's heart is in the right place. I think he always wanted to make this situation right but for whatever reason it just didn't work out that way.

Joe, if you want me to remove this post just remove the ones where you're bad mouthing me.
    Last edited by kite_tmr; 10-25-2005 at 03:56 PM.
    "xtra telles cause you know we the besst"

oh damn

n

Quote Originally Posted by kite_tmr
    I broke (it cracked) my stock turbo (o3 wrx) and have an ihi vf39 to replace it. Right now i have an Invidia tbe and a helix up pipe, nothing else. I dont want any other mods right now.
    WILL I HAVE ANY PROBLEMS IF I USE THIS TURBO?
    I am most interested in having a reliable car. Yeah i wanna increase the power and have fun but i dont want to blow it up and don't need to beat vipers. Thanks in advance for help...
    "xtra telles cause you know we the besst"

OK. This is the honest to God truth about this whole VF-39 swap. He does not need a larger fuel pump and Pinks to "use" the turbo. If he wanted to maximize the performance of the turbo, then the support of the fuel pump and injectors will be needed to do so correctly and safely. If all he wants to do is still be able to use his car again and not to spank on SRT-4's (sorry...had to throw that in there) then yes...it's ok to use the VF-39. It will not "blow" up his motor. Many WRX's that I know uses a VF-39 for a replacement for a worn or broken TD-04 without the Pinks and fuel pump and it's completely drivable. They just don't get the benefits of having a VF-39 since it cannot produce the output that it's capable of without supporting parts and EM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MdngtBlueWRX
    OK. This is the honest to God truth about this whole VF-39 swap. He does not need a larger fuel pump and Pinks to "use" the turbo. If he wanted to maximize the performance of the turbo, then the support of the fuel pump and injectors will be needed to do so correctly and safely. If all he wants to do is still be able to use his car again and not to spank on SRT-4's (sorry...had to throw that in there) then yes...it's ok to use the VF-39. It will not "blow" up his motor. Many WRX's that I know uses a VF-39 for a replacement for a worn or broken TD-04 without the Pinks and fuel pump and it's completely drivable. They just don't get the benefits of having a VF-39 since it cannot produce the output that it's capable of without supporting parts and EM.
    What are the AFR readings on the cars you speak of?

To tell you the truth, I don't have any AFR readings. I'm not a technician nor a Subaru guru at all. I am just speaking out of experience and I have rode/driven in WRX's with an untuned VF-39 and there are no problems whatsoever. Like I said before, it is to be used to get around and have a car you can drive momentarliy until you can get the Walbro and pinks as well as a tune or reflash. I never said you don't need those supporting parts at all, my point is that you can get away with bolting on a VF-39 and being able to drive the car again. Now if you want to stick with your statement, then fine. I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just trying to help another fellow Suby driver get back on the road.

I Support ClubWRX
    To tell you the truth, I don't have any AFR readings. I'm not a technician nor a Subaru guru at all. I am just speaking out of experience and I have rode/driven in WRX's with an untuned VF-39 and there are no problems whatsoever. Like I said before, it is to be used to get around and have a car you can drive momentarliy until you can get the Walbro and pinks as well as a tune or reflash. I never said you don't need those supporting parts at all, my point is that you can get away with bolting on a VF-39 and being able to drive the car again. Now if you want to stick with your statement, then fine. I'm not going to argue with you. I'm just trying to help another fellow Suby driver get back on the road.
    In no way am I arguing with you, I'm simply disagreeing with your statement. Just because the car "feels good" driving it, doesn't mean it isn't running lean. I could bolt a 18g to my car and drive for "a while" also. Eventually I would either burn a hole in the top of my piston, or crack a ring land.

The car was tuned for a smaller turbo than was installed. End of story. The car might not have blown up right away, but prolonged use would not have yielded a good result. I don't do things half assed, or throw modifications at my car without the correct supporting items, and I will always advise against others doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    The car might not have blown up right away, but prolonged use would not have yielded a good result.
    I agree. I'm just setting the fact straight that it can be done, and it has been done. You are definately right about prolonged use however. I personally wouldn't keep a setup like that for a year. But if the car is his only mode of transportation, and he needed it for school or work, then he can go a few weeks until he has money for EM or the supporting mods. Actually, even if he has the supporting mods, the car won't run right regardless because of the map on a standard WRX. C'mon man. We all don't have $700 for AP or reflash.

I Support ClubWRX
    But isn't $700 or more the cost of a VF39?...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yes it sure it. But in our friend's case, he already has a VF-39 unit. Now if someone were to ask me if I would rather get a VF-XX or EM, then that is a no brainer. EM is a must.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not to keep beating this dead llama, but I guess the fact is that some of us are more risk averse than others when it comes to their cars. I never even considered upgrading the turbo 'til I had the recommended EM and fuel mods. If others are willing to chance it, then more power to them.. (pun intended)
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree. I'm just setting the fact straight that it can be done, and it has been done. You are definately right about prolonged use however. I personally wouldn't keep a setup like that for a year. But if the car is his only mode of transportation, and he needed it for school or work, then he can go a few weeks until he has money for EM or the supporting mods. Actually, even if he has the supporting mods, the car won't run right regardless because of the map on a standard WRX. C'mon man. We all don't have $700 for AP or reflash.
    If someone doesn't have $700 for engine management, and needs the car for everyday transportation, a used stock TD04 replacement can be had for $150 all day long.

Of course. I would put the good ol TD-04 back if I had a spare one. But if all I had was a
    VF-39....(which I dont know what I would be doing with without the supporting mods), and it will allow the use of my car again for a short period, then I would put it on. Why spend another $150 for a used TD-04 when I have a VF-39? I would save that $150 for supporting mods. Just my .02.

Edit: Also the ECU won't allow the VF-39 to push itself. Remember, it is a very smart ECU to begin with. It will in time learn and compensate. Now all our friend needs to remember is to take it easy and he'll be fine. Again, I want to point out "fine" as being drivable. Not saying fast and not saying 100% good like stock. I'm saying he can use his car again and take it easy till the supporting mods come in.
    Last edited by MdngtBlueWRX; 11-17-2005 at 05:13 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I can run the stock tdo4 @ 25psi with no supporting mods or em but then anything can be done.Its more of a matter of doing it right,not just doing it.If you don't have $700 for engine management then you definatly won't have enough for a new engine.By a used TDO4 and when you have enough for a bigger turbo and proper supporting mods sell the TDO4.Do you really think you will lose any money on it?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.