ihi v39 OK for 03 WRX? - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on ihi v39 OK for 03 WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; A/F's are closer to 11 to 1 at redline The car went on the dyno with less then 100 miles ...

A/F's are closer to 11 to 1 at redline

The car went on the dyno with less then 100 miles on the ecu reset. The car needs more time to adjust it's self.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by codean
    A/F's are closer to 11 to 1 at redline

The car went on the dyno with less then 100 miles on the ecu reset. The car needs more time to adjust it's self.
    "Only" 100 miles, eh? Really working to find an argument, here.
    Ok, you win, whatever. My interest level in this has waned...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Bump.
    How did this turn out?

why is the dyno graph gone?

Exclamation

How did this turn out???????????

Good question.

I stood behind my promise to make it work. And the customer bailed on me leaving me with the bill.

This started as a result of a broken stud, that broke the corner of the turbo charger off during a down pipe install. I cut the tip to remove the rest of the stud and used a (high temp turbo nut and bolt) to finish the down pipe. My mistake was not discussing the broken stud with the customer when it happened.

I even loaned him one of my personal cars for the day while we did the install .

Customer came in for additional work at a later date.

We replaced the turbo with a VF39 dirt cheap and even cut him a deal on the labor to install it. We believed it would work fine but weren't sure how the ecu actually was going to handle this. I told him I would stand behind it either way.

So I did.

I purchased the high flow pump and paid to have it installed since the mistake was mine , we decided that the pump wasn't enough so we installed STI pink injectors and decided to do the Ecutek reflash. Again I paid for the injectors, and the install, plus I got the customer a discount on the Ecutek for 500.00 and no dyno or afr cost.

We had some issues with the Ecutek software and we had to let the customer go with a mild tune on it until we could get information from Ecutek on how to correct it. (customer wanted a smoother boost curve) No problem, we received the information from Ecutec and tried to get the customer back in to correct it and pay the 500.00 that I allowed him to leave with.

Customer had several excuses on why he was unable to come in (last time I called he was "on the other line" and would call me back). I believe he decided to go with a Cobb Accessport (which I also offer him for $500.00 if that was the direction he chose to go) and just left me hanging on the Ecutek charge.

Since then, I have been charged the 500.00 (thank you) and have been stripped of several privledges. No more deals for "customers" that is for sure.

And the person that was tuning our Ecutek is now working for the Scion race team.

To many of you, you might have been right, it will not work at a satisfactory level, but I do not know what it would have really took to make it work, where I would felt ok in using it, or how much power etc. it actually provided.

No good deed goes unpunished.

A $20.00 nut and stud has costed me over $1000.00 and the loss of power.

As a side note I accepted the 500.00 charge rather than have the owner put a mechanics lean on the car and reposes it.
    Last edited by Tarmac-USA; 08-23-2005 at 12:02 AM.
    Tarmac-USA / Super-Rupair
    sales@tarmac-usa.com
    AIM: Tarmac Sales
    1309 Yarmouth Ave
    Boulder CO 80304
    303-442-6508 X108

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmac-USA

Good question.

I stood behind my promise to make it work. And the customer bailed on me leaving me with the bill.

This started as a result of a broken stud, that broke the corner of the turbo charger off during a down pipe install. I cut the tip to remove the rest of the stud and used a (high temp turbo nut and bolt) to finish the down pipe. My mistake was not discussing the broken stud with the customer when it happened.

I even loaned him one of my personal cars for the day while we did the install .

We replaced the turbo with a VF39 dirt cheap and even cut him a deal on the labor to install it. We believed it would work fine but weren't sure how the ecu actually was going to handle this. I told him I would stand behind it either way.

So I did.

I purchased the high flow pump and paid to have it installed since the mistake was mine , we decided that the pump wasn't enough so we installed STI pink injectors and decided to do the Ecutek reflash. Again I paid for the injectors, and the install, plus I got the customer a discount on the Ecutek for 500.00 and no dyno or afr cost.

We had some issues with the Ecutek software and we had to let the customer go with a mild tune on it until we could get information from Ecutek on how to correct it. (customer wanted a smoother boost curve) No problem, we received the information from Ecutec and tried to get the customer back in to correct it and pay the 500.00 that I allowed him to leave with.

Customer had several excuses on why he was unable to come in (last time I called he was "on the other line" and would call me back). I believe he decided to go with a Cobb Accessport (which I also offer him for $500.00 if that was the direction he chose to go) and just left me hanging on the Ecutek charge.

Since then, I have been charged the 500.00 (thank you) and have been stripped of several privledges. No more deals for "customers" that is for sure.

And the person that was tuning our Ecutek is no working for the Scion race team.

To many of you, you might have been right, it will not work at a satisfactory level, but I do not know what it would have really took to make it work, where I would felt ok in using it, or how much power etc. it actually provided.

As a side note I accepted the 500.00 charge rather than have the owner put a mechanics lean on the car and reposes it.
    damn.... sorry to hear that man.

Good question.

So I did.

And the person that was tuning our Ecutek is no working for the Scion race team.

Moral of the story is... stick to what you know is right.. if you are going to change paramiters on an engine, you need to tune it, period. If its something small like a tbe you can get away with it, something like a larger turbo needs tuning. The wrx runs so pig rich you can just add a mbc and get away with a little more boost, not a more efficient turbo. please excuse my spelling

BTW: you get a A+ in customer service in my book, every experience is a learning one good job.
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

Damn dude, I mostly just read the beginning and skimmed the rest but it looks like you stuck your neck out for someone that was quite undeserving. You know what the real shame is, classic story, he has basically ruined any deal this guy is going to give to anyone else. Someone always ruins it for the others, so you have not heard from the guy again, is he a member on here? That is really lame if that was what went down, man I would be pissed.....

Yeah really sucks... im going to req. my first duty station in colorado. and u know where i would get my tranny done... no deal for me
    Handling: Kyb AGX struts, Tein springs, camber bolts, Alignment -1.3F/-1.0R
    Looks: Gold powder coated stockers, Tint 30%F/20%rear, Infinity speakers, Sony deck
    Future mods: Legacy GT
    Car domain:http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/852175

I Support ClubWRX

Good question.

So I did.

Sorry to hear he stiffed you. Thank you for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by GIRex
    Moral of the story is... stick to what you know is right.. if you are going to change paramiters on an engine, you need to tune it, period. If its something small like a tbe you can get away with it, something like a larger turbo needs tuning. The wrx runs so pig rich you can just add a mbc and get away with a little more boost, not a more efficient turbo. please excuse my spelling

BTW: you get a A+ in customer service in my book, every experience is a learning one good job.
    Thanks.

Many times it is not that you do not know better it is that you want to know more. Many things we have learned were by trial and trial again. If I listened to everyone that told me "I didn't know what I was talking about, or that will not work". I would still be at home.

Someone had to be the first to try something.

Die Trying.

I do not hold anything against this customer, I just can't work on his car again.
    sales@tarmac-usa.com
    1309 Yarmouth Ave
    Boulder CO 80304
    303-442-6508 X108

And the person that was tuning our Ecutek is now working for the Scion race team.
    Does that mean you guys are no longer doing custom tunes?

Quote Originally Posted by kite_tmr
    THe shop with the "interesting rep" introduced the idea to me (not told me what i wanted to hear) when we needed a solution for the broken td04. They said might as well use a better turbo (since the old one was done) and felt that using a larger (but not real large) turbo to accomplish the same thing (stock psi) was the way to go. A larger turbo that isn't working as hard rather than maxing out a smaller turbo.
    I don't claim to know everything and that's why i post here. The idea that PSI is a measurement that can change from one application to the next seems illogical. Why would psi with one turbo be more than with another? (Is anyone saying that because the turbo is larger the psi is automatically increased?) The flow of air may be more efficient with the vf39 but the psi remains the same. It almost sounds like saying 1lb of steel is heavier than 1lb of feathers.
    I appreciate all opinions. I don't who the people are who are posting, or how knowledgeable they are, therefore i will get as many opinions as possible. Obviously my mind is not "made up" and that is why i continue pursuing opinions. I posted this same topic on NASIOC to see if opinions are the same.
    At any rate, on Monday I will have an interesting conversation with the guys at Flat4/Tarmac. I will also get the car to the dyno and all mysteries will be solved. Until then if you see an 03 wrx driving around at 2000rpm's that might be me.
    Oh yeah, and when you're sarcastic to an adult male from NYC expect it back...
    you sir are an idiot, to you

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schu
    Does that mean you guys are no longer doing custom tunes?
    Yes. At the moment we are not offering custom "toones". We are working with Ecutek and hope to have that solved with in a few weeks.

Joseph
    sales@tarmac-usa.com
    1309 Yarmouth Ave
    Boulder CO 80304
    303-442-6508 X108

Yes. At the moment we are not offering custom "toones". We are working with Ecutek and hope to have that solved with in a few weeks.
    Joseph
    Does that mean they've restricted your license or are you getting a replacement tuner guy? And what's with you and the "tooner" all the time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.