ihi v39 OK for 03 WRX? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on ihi v39 OK for 03 WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; PS: RayfieldsWRX's cat is ugly...

PS: RayfieldsWRX's cat is ugly

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    ...Yet apparently more mature than you are...

Half-ass your cars, it's no skin off anyone else's back.
    Last edited by RayfieldsWRX; 03-28-2005 at 11:08 AM.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by codean
    Did you read what I said?
    Yes

Bolting on a slightly larger turbo and running factory boost control is not a "major" change.
    In my eyes it is a large change

Most of the people in here are not the most advanced when it comes to tuning. Everything has become cookie cutter for mod paths and unfortunately some untrue things have been ground into the minds of the weak.

Bolt on a turbo.... you must have injectors, pump and EM regardless of what your doing with it.
    If you want to correctly tune that turbo, you can overwhelm the stock fuel pump, and run the injectors static

You need to understand that If he's running low boost he is not in dire need these things.
    Why run low boost with a larger turbo and look for more power? Why not tune the car and maximize the setup?

If you can add anything technical to suport your side please do so, I would love to hear it.
    It appears I'm talking to a guru who joined only for this thread. Please share your own knowledge. It seems you definately know more than I do. I'm always open and willing to learn.
    Last edited by Trainrex; 03-28-2005 at 11:25 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX

Half-ass your cars, it's no skin off anyone else's back.
    That is the best statement of this thread. I will now retire from it because it's not helping anyone.

Naa, I didn't join these forums just for this thread.

The guy who posted this thread also posted at nasioc and I was the only one who responded. He pm'ed me asking why everyone on clubwrx was telling him that he would blow his engine if he did this.

From what I understand (through the pm's) all he wants to do is use a VF39 as a replacement for his busted TDO4. So instead of spending money on another stock turbo, invest in something that leaves room for improvement in the future.

Food for thought….

The USDM STI only uses 480cc injectors with the VF39. Stock WRX are 440cc.

wow intresting thread... and the reason im reading it is bacuase i plan on doing the same thing to my wifes car... i have chosen to do pinks, em and pump as a precaution just in case, i have read where people have just bolted the turbo up at stock boost and ran. if you ask me its what YOU want to do if you feel you can run with just the snail do it.. if not then do what you want to to the end result will either be
    a. blown motor
    b. running car that runs but not too good
    c. a unleashed beast...

the question in the end is how much you wnna pay and what YOU want in the end.
    08 Audi RS4 (the retirement car)
    03 SY WRX (daily)
    07 Forester XT (wifes ride
    07 GSX-R 1000 (when cars get boring)

Wow, what a mess.....

I've been using the 39 for a while. I love this turbo. It spools quick and has plenty enough power for me. Of course, the alky injection helps a bit also

There are a lot of people who seem angry in this thread. I don't think his car is gonna explode in a ball of flames, but I personally don't feel that there is a large enough margin of safety. I like the extra "headroom" that increased fueling gives. If these guys have done this before, then great. I hope for the best and eagerly await the dyno results to see what kind of power that this setup will put out.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyh
    I hope for the best and eagerly await the dyno results to see what kind of power that this setup will put out.
    It's not about what kind of power the car will put out. I'm more interested IDC's and if the car leans out to a dangerous level at any point.

It's been proven by now that on the subaru injectors that run high IDC's do not mean that the injector will fail. I have never heard of one failing yet, but I'm sure that some place out there it has happened for some reason or another. But if he flat out of injector and the weather turns cold he will lean out.

I don't see him geting to this point.

OK....I said I would post it....Here it is...
    "xtra telles cause you know we the besst"

OMFG LOOK AT THAT FUEL CURVE !!!!

DONT EVEN START YOUR CAR, YOU NEED EMS BEFORE SHE BLOWS !!!!

Edit: Great #'s bro
    Youll be fine for a quite a while, the ECU has a little learning to do, but later on down the road do the injectors, fp, and reflash to smooth out that spike and bring those numbers up a her
    Last edited by ScoobVee; 03-28-2005 at 09:39 PM.

How many miles did you put on your car before geting on the dyno?
    No IDC readings?
    How many cats do you have in your exhaust and where was the O2 sensor placed for the a/f reading?
    What where your boost readings?
    What gear was this taken in and is it an auto or manual?

What did the guys at the shop have to say?
    Last edited by codean; 03-28-2005 at 10:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by codean
    How many miles did you put on your car before geting on the dyno?
    No IDC readings?
    How many cats do you have in your exhaust and where was the O2 sensor placed for the a/f reading?
    What where your boost readings?
    What gear was this taken in and is it an auto or manual?

What did the guys at the shop have to say?
    I can answer this question to an extent and then ill let Kieth go into a little more detail. I was there when the dyno pulls were done. The pulls were done in 3rd gear. When I took a ride in the car lastnight I read boost levels through Cobb Accessport pluged into his car while he drove, the highest I saw was 15.3 and it quickly went down to 12 something. Keep in mind this was on a cool night. I didnt plug the port in on the dyno though but I would assume within those levels.

The car is completely catless, The wideband was placed in the tailpipe, and it is a 5spd

Mac Autosports which is who dynoed the car said that it was too lean. That it just wasnt safe blah... blah... blah... But this is with the owner and everyone else knowing that he had no fuel upgrades or EM so we think they may have been trying to sell him a UTEC, who can blame them right??

With all that said ill let Keith go into further detail if he wishes. The responses he got from tarmac etc.. which im beginning to trust more and more.
    2004 WRX completely stock! And becoming even more stock daily.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow, quite a spike.
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

If I am reading that right, your a/f is pretty close to 12? Max hp is 234? about 10 hp more than a good stage 2 tune. What were the egt's like?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyh
    If I am reading that right, your a/f is pretty close to 12? Max hp is 234? about 10 hp more than a good stage 2 tune. What were the egt's like?
    Here's a dyno graph of Cobb's stage 2 tune, for comparison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stage2.jpg  
    --Ray
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast